Do you need to stop moving before switching to 4x4?

I recently brought a truck with 4x4 and was wondering if I can switch to it while I’m in the middle of driving or do I need to stop moving first 

• David

It depends on the vehicle.  Many older systems could only engage 4WD from a stop but most newer ones and some older ones can shift on the fly.  Read the owners manual.

• Sean K

I fully stop my truck before switching. Even if you can I wouldn’t risk a repair bill.

Never use 4x4 on pavement. The tires need the ability to slip when turning corners. It will destroy your gearbox.

Like Jay P says. But most vehicles today can be switched in and out while driving or setting still. It's all in the owner's manual. You would be absolutely astounded as to what you can learn about your vehicle in your owner's manual!

• Jay P

Some yes, some no.

Read the owner's manual to find out which answer applies to YOUR vehicle.

Some makes and models you can, some you can't.   Just calling it a truck is not good enough. Make, model, year, all is important for a good answer you can use. When in doubt, read the owners manual.

• F

Assuming you have automatic locking hubs , on a manual select 4wd system , the instructions will say you should be stopped .

You can do it on the move but all 4 wheels must be rotating at the same speed, ie driving in a straight line.

YES. Depending on the specific vehicle, one of those answers is correct.

This and other secrets are revealed in the Owners Manual.

Depends on the vehicle. It's always best if you can stop, even if very briefly,. but with some systems you can switch on the move.  With ours you can go into 4wd if you are moving very slowly, but to change ratios on the hi/lo box you need to be stationery.

With some with push-button selections you can push the button any time but it won't actually do anything until it is safe for the transmission to do so (usually when you've slowed right down).  Best read the manual.

Mine says that you can shift to 4 high while moving, but you have to stop before going into 4 low.   With experimentation I found that they built some safety feature into it so that you can push the button but nothing will happen until the transmission and transfer case decide that it is OK.