Wren asked in PetsDogs · 1 month ago

Help my dog keeps licking and twitching her paw after a walk ?

Pls help I do not know what's wrong with my dog. She is 4 yrs old small chihuahua. We went for a short walk until all of a sudden she turned back and wanted to walk back to the car after a few minutes. I notice her right leg lagging and limping a little so i picked her up and carried her back to the car. As I did this she kept tryin to reach back and lick her right paw and leg. The leg also kept twitching every few seconds or so. I took her back home washed her paws and leg with warm water. It has been an hour now and she is still twitching that affected leg every few seconds (30-40 sec). I alrdy checked the leg and paw there is nothing wrong with it that is visible to my eye. No thorn, bleeding or swollenness. This has happened last week as well when I took her for a walk but with one of her front legs. The issue went away after a couple hours. But what can this be??? Bug Bite??? Neorological problem? Please help if u experienced the same...

Sorry Wren, there are NO VETS on yahoo.  None of us have had this issue, but a guess would be either due to BURNING her pads on a too-hot surface, or yes, something neurological, since it has been seen in another foot. I concur - you OUGHT to consult your vet.  Dogs only belong on GRASS in hot weather; NEVER on asphalt & often, not on sidewalks either.

• PR

Hmmm . . . call the vet? Be sure not to walk her on hot surfaces. She may just have sensitive paws/pads. She may need either a different surface or light-weight boots.

• Jojo

I once had a GSD who was lame on his front leg on and off for 6 weeks and the vet could find nothing wrong.

One day whilst out on a walk with him, he began to limp on a front leg so I looked at his leg and paw, and as I inspected his paw by squeezing it a bit a thorn shot out along with a lot of pus.

Sometimes foreign bodies can work there way deep into a dogs paw and its impossible to see them, and there are no swellings.

I squeezed all the pus out and after that he was no longer intermittently lame.

I`m not saying this is what is wrong with `your` dog but I`d certainly get her checked out at the vets as a precaution. Jmo. 

• Maxi

What is could be, the vet will tell you once you take the dog down to get it examined

• Nicey8

maybe she sprained her leg. chihuahua are not as sporty as some large dogs, so it is advisable not to take them out for very long walks. See a vet for her.

maybe you should take her to the vet