Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceSmall Business · 1 month ago

Should I share this money with my ex?

Many years ago Janice my mother in law wanted to start a home based business. The business required she become very familiar using a computer. She needed to do inventory, accounts payable and receivable, customer lists, etc. She ask me to train her. I gladly did but it took many months of training. It was a difficult learning curve but she finally mastered using a computer and started her home based business.

She said she would pay me for the training if the business was successful. I told her that was not necessary. She put in many long hours working on her business and it became very successful. Fast forward to the present. She is now my ex mother in law. Her daughter and I are now divorced.

She recently sold her business for a lot of money. She decided to pay me for the training I gave her many years ago. She found the current rate for computer training and multiplied it by the approximate hours I trained her and sent me a check for that amount. It was a very pleasant surprise as I had nothing in writing that she owed me anything.

The I got another surprise. My ex wife said that because we live in a community property state, she was entitled to half of the money her mother sent me because when I did the work I was married to her.

I want to do what is right. Should I share the money with her?

No.  You did not have the payment when you two were divorced, so that income was not included in the divorce settlement.  It's like work.  You were educated while married.  Would she be entitled to your income for the rest of your life, just because you obtained the education while married?  No.  Further, it was never a debt owed.  It was a gift.  It was a years later decision made in good gesture at the time.  Divorce does not consider a future "possible but not probably" gift, that may or may not come at some point in the future.  Assets are calculated about when the divorce is filed.  When the divorce is finalized, everything has been taken into consideration.  Assets are appraised at their current value, not what they may be worth in the future.  She is not entitled to it, any part of it.  It was a thank you gift, not a debt owed, and if it was a debt owed, it would have been included in the divorce.  You can explain it how I did.  She is entitled to nothing.

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience.