Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsMedicine · 1 month ago

Did I get more radiation than normal?

I went for a ct scan a few days ago and was wondering did I get more radiation than i needed. Like if the technician didn't like me and gave me a higher dose than normal or is it a certain dose they can only  give u?

They did not give you to much--that is paranoid, the machine is pre set to do only what the order calls for,

• John

X-Ray film is expensive and used in a Dosimeter which protects the X-Ray Tech but no help for the patient. 1000 Rems (radiation equivalent man) is a lethal dose.

The machine emits a certain amount of radiation per image. CT scans are multiple still x-ray images that are combined to create a three-dimensional final result- so more extensive scans = more radiation. How extensive the scan is is dependent upon the medical order. The tech has no control over the amount of radiation used by the machine other than creating a more extensive scan than necessary, but again this is controlled by medical order.