I'm having bad internet surges, could anyone help me fix it?

We've tried everything from buying a new router (Netgear Nighthawk) and upgrading hardware and cables but we keep getting surges to the point of disconnecting from games or bad spikes. It happens on any devices in the household. Our ISP has sent people out to our house a few times to try and solve our issue to no avail. You guys are my last hope.

This happens to both ethernet and wifi connections.

Our ISP is Spectrum and we use Spectrums modem: Model E31T2V1

Our Router: Netgear Nighthawk AC2300

We tried connecting a console directly to the modem through Ethernet and it seems to be perfectly smooth now. Granted this disconnected all other devices from the internet.

If anyone knows what could cause the issues we were having please help?

• BigE

Thanks VP, I was wondering what a "surge" was.

So something is dropping.  I think it might be load related, if you see no lights changing on your modem or router.  That its why it works with only one client.  You can get stats from your router, packets and bytes on each interface (usually).

I'd add devices slowly one by one. I'd start with wired only, no wireless.  I'd keep a pc on the router page, see if it records an error or reboots by the uptime.  You could also run mtr or winmtr which is a continuous ping to a host like 8.8.8.8. It gives a ping to that ip and all intervening ones so you can see where the drop has occurred, at least to the router/modem/isp interface.

So my first guess is something is flooding the network interface.  When a interface is overloaded, routers often reset the interface to "fix" it but that resets all the connections.

If you have bad spikes call Comed.Surges - itis also about electricity - again call Comed.

• VP

I've been handling IT issues since 1982 and I've never heard of an "Internet surge."  So, let's start there.  What exactly is an Internet surge?