Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 1 month ago

Can you make delicious lasagna with dried basil instead of fresh. Trying to save money and basil is expensive?

Yes, you can use dried basil in lasagna.

It's kinda sad that you don't have enough money for food :(

Of course you can. Purists will tell you no, but dried is perfectly acceptable if you want to save some money or cannot access fresh. The flavor profile will be a bit different as fresh adds a bit more of a 'fresh plant' vibe, but dried will still be ok. Been using dried for years with no problems what so ever.

soak the basil in lemon juice over night. - when you cook the onion, add the lemon juice basil and mince.. 

It’s fine to use, it just doesn’t have the tense flavor of fresh 

Of course you can. 

I use a lot of basil and I find growing it is less expensive than buying it dried.

I buy one basil plant each spring and use the fresh leaves until the fall. At that time, I cut the plant branches, bring them inside to dry where I crumble and jar the basil to use over the winter time.

I have even successfully brought my herb plants inside to grow and use all winter long to set outside in the spring.

The cost of one live plant is far less than a dried spice jar in comparison to the yield of a fresh basil plant.

• denise

Yes of course, just sprinkle it into your Lasagne / tomato sauce.

Some jarred marinara's have herbs already added!

• kswck2

Of course you can. Just make sure there is enough liquid in the lasagna to make sure the basil rehydrates. 

Yes, absolutely.

There are things I insist upon fresh basil for, but lasagna is not one of them.    Lasagna is a bold dish with a lot going on (especially cheese).  It is not a delicate dish where you will miss fresh basil.