Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 1 month ago

Can you make delicious lasagna with dried basil instead of fresh. Trying to save money and basil is expensive?

23 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 weeks ago

Yes, you can use dried basil in lasagna.

• 1 month ago

It's kinda sad that you don't have enough money for food :(

• 1 month ago

Of course you can. Purists will tell you no, but dried is perfectly acceptable if you want to save some money or cannot access fresh. The flavor profile will be a bit different as fresh adds a bit more of a 'fresh plant' vibe, but dried will still be ok. Been using dried for years with no problems what so ever.

• 1 month ago

soak the basil in lemon juice over night. - when you cook the onion, add the lemon juice basil and mince.. 

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

It’s fine to use, it just doesn’t have the tense flavor of fresh 

• 1 month ago

Of course you can. 

• 1 month ago

Yes, you can use dried basil in lasagna.

I use a lot of basil and I find growing it is less expensive than buying it dried.

I buy one basil plant each spring and use the fresh leaves until the fall. At that time, I cut the plant branches, bring them inside to dry where I crumble and jar the basil to use over the winter time.

I have even successfully brought my herb plants inside to grow and use all winter long to set outside in the spring.

The cost of one live plant is far less than a dried spice jar in comparison to the yield of a fresh basil plant.

• denise
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Yes of course, just sprinkle it into your Lasagne / tomato sauce.

Some jarred marinara's have herbs already added!

• kswck2
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Of course you can. Just make sure there is enough liquid in the lasagna to make sure the basil rehydrates. 

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Yes, absolutely.

There are things I insist upon fresh basil for, but lasagna is not one of them.    Lasagna is a bold dish with a lot going on (especially cheese).  It is not a delicate dish where you will miss fresh basil.  

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.