How would you respond if a gay friend of yours had a secret that was killing him?

You (straight) pressed and he revealed that he was attracted to you.

Would that make you uncomfortable? Would you unfriend him? 

Oooh I, I just died in your arms toniiiight.  Musta been something you said...

It wouldn't make me uncomfortable, no, and I wouldn't unfriend her. 

• Sky

I certainly wouldn't unfriend him (online) or stop being his friend (IRL).  I would just have to be completely honest with him that while I'm flattered, I'm sorry but the feeling isn't mutual because I'm hetero and not attracted to guys, but I definitely want to remain friends.  Hopefully that would let him down gently, plus I'd also encourage him to look for love with a different boyfriend.  His feelings for me might make things a little awkward for a while, but I wouldn't be uncomfortable about it.

• reme_1

You would have to have a discussion about boundaries and NOT crossing the line. I'm sure that most straight people would be uncomfortable at first. 

The reverse has happened with me. I’m gay and have had straight women hit on me. I just explained my situation to them and that was that. They moved on. We were not that close friends though, so it was not an issue of unfriending them or not. But if we were friends, it would have been fine.

Many young gay men come on this site and ask if they should tell their straight crush the truth. I tell them not to. Especially if we are talking about a young guy who has not run in to this kind of thing before - many don’t know how to handle it and could get freaked out. I do tell them to out themselves because if he is your friend there should be no secrets. If when they out them self he replies he is straight - he should just treat him as a brother and move on. After all - he only outed himself - he didn’t pour his heart out for nothing. Straight guys and gay men can be great friends if the foundations of it are based on honesty. Only if he happens to respond that he is in to guys too should he find out if the interest is mutual. Not everything needs to be said. There is a time and a place for everything.

• Brian

I didn't when that happened to me.  Then again, I am not homophobic assh0le.

It might make me a tad uncomfortable but only if my gay friend seemed unable to comprehend or accept the fact that I was hetero. If he did understand and accept that I was straight, and merely wanted to make his feelings known, I would not unfriend him.

I would be flattered but would have to turn him down and try to find him someone he could date.

Omg theres this one gay kid named logan and this other named ethan and I think they do like me because im super attractive and beautiful and amazing and elegant and better than everone but  unfortunately for them im not gay myself so xD