Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkEthnic Cuisine · 1 month ago

Do chinese people get offended when people assume sushi is a chinese dish?

Question to the CHINESE community: do chinese people get offended when people associate sushi as a chinese dish?

I'm in an yearbook club and someone in my club put sushi graphics in the chinese club page of the yearbook.

I confronted the person about it but they told me that it's fine because the chinese club is generally an asian club but... it's called the chinese club for a reason. I didn't want to boss them around and tell them to take it down since i'm not chinese but i'm just asking. 

• Alpha

Yes and no, depending on the individual Asian. They may look at you as if you were some strange bug, and tell their fellow Asian friends about the ignorance of westerners while laughing it up.

As for the Chinese club being really an Asian club, that is common although slightly less so than a couple of generations ago when anything Asian was labelled "Chinese". It's similar to calling places in American cities Chinatown when in fact there are Japanese, Chinese, Korean, Thai, Vietnamese, and even Indian (they are Asian, too) shops, restaurants, and homes located there. 

The other thing is that while sushi is Japanese, the dish is very popular in many Asian countries including China, Korea, Taiwan, Thailand, etc. Most of the Japanese restaurants in my city are actually owned and run by non-Japanese Asians.

• kswck2

Sushi is a Japanese dish. 

Here's an analogy for you: if you were Swedish would you be okay with everyone calling you Heidi and giving you cuckoo clock themed stuff because there's no "real" difference between Sweden and Switzerland?  I mean they're both in Europe.

Sushi is really mainstream now.  Everybody knows it's Japanese even if they can't tell sushi from sashimi.  If there are enough students at your school to form a Chinese club whether they're of Chinese heritage or just ardent Sinophiles then it's really crappy to not even get a generic Chinese dragon.  I would be really disappointed if this was my year book.

Sometimes it's right to stand your ground.  I'm not generally a fan of being offended on behalf of other people but whoever is doing the graphics is very lazy and more concerned with their own ego than correcting a mistake.  In the future they will be fired from jobs due to lack of attention to detail so not saying anything isn't doing them any favors.

• John

First world problem.