Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceTeaching · 1 month ago

If I want to be a high school teacher, what level of degree will I need in education?

• Boy

I believe a bachelors degree, however I have seen high school teachers who were still attending college while teaching. 

It is customary to get your first job in a school district with a B. Ed., then earn your M.Ed while teaching. 

Depends on where you live and what school you go to.

You don't get a degree for teaching. You would get a license. In MN, I went to school and received my Bachelor's of Science degree at the same time I got a license in teaching. My license covers 5-12 grade.

The regulations vary from state to state, but in most, to teach high school, you do NOT get a degree in education. You get a degree in the subject matter you plan to teach. You may be able to take a block of courses in education or do a 5th year and get an MAT in education. The websites of schools that you might go to will have detailed information. 

• Neil

Like most things, that very much depends very much on where.

In California, a subject matter bachelor degree plus about one year of education coursework to qualify for initial credential. 

In addition to a bachelor's degree in education and better yet a masters degree you are going to need a very large degree of patience. Patience to deal with undisciplined students, irate parents and over bearing rules and regulations.

• Scott

You will need a bachelors degree in education for your initial certificate. You will either need to continue taking college courses throughout your career or obtain a masters degree to have a permanent license.

Most high schools require a Master’s Degree to become a teacher while in some schools you can teach with a Bachelor’s.