In my time travel to 1983 in Maine what would I do the day before a US Schoolgirl Samantha Smith gets invited to the Soviet Union by?

it's leader Yuri Andropov after he read her letter in which she expressed her fears of the nuclear war

• Marli

I don't know what you would do. 

Your time traveller would read the newspaper of the previous day and get acquainted with his/her surroundings. What is your time traveller there to do?

Miss Smith did not know that Mr  Andropov had issued his invitation until she had received it.  Neither whatever happened to her the day before nor whatever she did the day before is relevant to that invitation (unless she expressed concern about nuclear war that day).  Mr Andropov may have issued his invitation on the day before she received it, but nothing about it can happen until she received it. (Or until the Soviet embassy in the US or the United States State Department went through their diplomatic protocols and informed her family that Mr  Andropov had invited her and the news media were informed).

• Andrew

Please go further back in time than 1983. We'd all prefer it if you were to go back to around 1383. That way, there's no chance of you surviving long enough to avail yourself of the internet and we'll never have to see any of your moronic questions ever again. 

Yes, I remember this incident. But I don't quite understand why you would need to do anything special the day before it happens.

Once you've arrived, please consider staying there, you utter numpty.

• Speed

"In my time travel to 1983 in Maine what would I do the day before a US Schoolgirl Samantha Smith gets invited to the Soviet Union by?... it's leader Yuri Andropov after he read her letter in which she expressed her fears of the nuclear war"

I would hope you'd use the day to master this:

it's = it is, it has

its = belonging to it

And to read the local newspaper thoroughly. Do you even know the name of any  Maine paper?