Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsZoology · 1 month ago

Why do we drink cow milk as adults instead of human milk?

Human milk was made for humans. Cow milk was made for cows. 

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 weeks ago

Human milk? You mean sperm?

• 4 weeks ago

You don't understand the concept of farming I suppose.

• Paul
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

For the same reason we eat animals but not humans.

• MARK
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

If we farmed women the saw way we farm dairy cattle I suspect there may be a public outcry.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Zirp
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Because we can.  Human milk was meant for human babies, cow-milk was meant for calves. However, some humans keep producing the enzyme necessary to digest milk even after infancy. Some other humans do not, and when THEY drink milk they will get diarrhea

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Cow's milk became available after humans domesticated cows. Adult mammals cannot digest milk because they shut down the production of the enzyme lactase, which is needed to digest the milk sugar lactose. Since adult mammals do not drink milk, so lactase is useless. Without lactase, an animal becomes lactose intolerant.

After humans domesticated cows and after cow's milk became available as an extras source of food, adult humans can avoid starvation if they can digest milk. During a famine, some people who can digest milk are able to survive while others starve to death. As a result the gene that produces lactase has been turned back on in some adult humans, and this mutation is passed on to future generations and became more widespread in some human popualtions. Cow's milk is very similar chemically to human milk, and that is why even babies can be fed cow's milk. We drink cow's milk because cows can produce a lot more milk than humans.

• 1 month ago

Humans don’t make enough milk for 1 or 2 glasses a day, much less enough to make cheese or other products that requires milk. 

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Do I? Could've fooled me. 

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.