Who do you think is the best lyrical songwriter?

What songwriter do you think writes the best lyrics?

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 5 months ago

IMO, it's a tossup between Bob Dylan and Joni Mitchell.

Bob Dylan: I feel Dylan’s genius was his ability to create lyrics that described feelings and situations not yet heard in any pop-rock/folk music. He was both cleverly literate, unusually, openly political, and powerfully honest.

There are times Dylan’s lyrics, and sensitively paired melodies to consort with, feel as much literature as lyric. Taking his name from the poet Dylan Thomas, and being an avid consumer of prose/poetry, he was able to put to music what many poets could not create simply dry on paper.

Joni Mitchell: If we are talking about real poets whose words alone would fill a book of poetry, then Joni Mitchell tops the list for the greatest female lyricist. Her prolific poems were impressive in the '70s but astonishingly brilliant as the years passed. Most artists are creative over a short period. It is rare to find a writer who is brilliant over 30 + years. Mitchell began with poems so descriptive, so full of imagery that even the popular artists of that era took notice. David Crosby, Stephen Stills, Graham Nash, James Taylor.....they all admitted that Joni Mitchell was far and above them with her brilliant mastery of words.

• RockIt
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

Cole Porter

Bod Dylan

Roger Waters

• 5 months ago

In my opinion, it's between Metric (I think Emily Haines and James Shaw are the main songwriters) and Trent Reznor of Nine Inch Nails.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.