Who investigates serial killers in the Uk?

Just writing a new book and I was wondering if serial killers are investigated by Detective Chief Inspector or Detective Superintendent

• Ludwig

There would be a team of dozens of detectives.

Please don't write a crime novel unless you have a really thorough and up-to-date knowledge of the police system in the UK. The rank of the chief investigating officer is the EASIEST thing to get right: the rest is very complex, and if you get it wrong at all, your book (and its author) will be sneered at.

• Marli

I don't know if it is still called the CID Criminal Investigation Department (or Division) of the Metropolitan Police; but I'd type that phrase into an internet search engine's box. (My scant knowledge of the English Police comes from Poirot and Sherlock Holmes,so I am not up to date )  Police forces outside Metropolitan London have their own CIDs but the Met ('Scotland Yard') may still be their "go to" for assistance (I don't know what organization structure Scotland"s police forces have.)

I do know that the Detective Superintendent outranks a Detective Chief Inspector, who outranks a Detective Inspector. So in cases of serial killing, he would head the team and assign the tasks to the lower ranks.