Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social ScienceEconomics · 1 month ago

Why is infrastructure in Scotland so bad ?

picture is of a deprived, ugly with crumbing infrastructure and buildings that reminded my dad of the eastern bloc of the Soviet Union but in Glasgow. I honestly thought this photo was taken in the 1980s or early 1990s but this picture is only a couple of years old. Also did that house in the centre just collapse on its own or did tornado rip through the area? 

• Oiy

It does not want to do anything, but to join the EU.

Look closer, I mean really blow the picture up.  Do you see how the lower windows of the lower tenements are shuttered with steel shutters?  That neighbourhood is being slowly emptied and demolished piecemeal.  This being a democracy you can't just kick everyone out to do so.  Some residents can be VERY obstanant about leaving even when offered better accommodation, and I get it, I'm a thrawn sort too, but it's a bugger to plan round.  Those tall high rises are being demolished too, bit by bit.  You can find videos of similar coming down on youtube.

If you're thinking "post war" when you look at those buildings you're not wrong.  Both sets were built in the post war boom.  The lower tenements are older, 50s - early 60s by the looks of them.  The high rise start taking over from the mid 60s.  I don't know if you know this but the UK was almost bankrupt after WWII and didn't get the Marshall Plan money to rebuild, instead it was deeply indebted to the US for loans taken out during the war.  It was so bad that building materials were rationed until 1964.  Plumbing material was in especially short supply.

For this reason when you compare British housing estates to their equivalent continental estates in western Europe of the same era they ARE of worse quality.  You're not imagining it.  The reason why so many of these buildings are now being torn down is because the concrete used is rotting.  It's actually quite sad.  I know this is not the orthadox view but for all the external configurations of the highrises was hated the internal layout of the individual flats were very well thought out and much more spacious than the flats built in the last 25 years.

Britain had to do a lot with very little in a short amount of time.  Cities were badly bombed out.  Add to that that building materials had been in short supply since the start of WWII the housing stock was in a bad condition, plus there was a baby boom underway because that's what happens after a big war.  Glasgow isn't the only UK city with poor post war housing stock.  There are vicious debates about what to do with it with many competing and conflicting interests.  It's quite a rabbithole to fall into once you start to look into it.

Glasgow is in the midst of a HUGE regeneration scheme at the moment with an aim to become nett zero carbon and I say good luck to them.  Your picture is part of that in the sense that it shows an estate being emptied and demolished.

Btw, the Oslo skyline looks ghastly.  In a generation they'll rightly be tearing down those souless glass boxes and wondering what crack their grandparents were smoking when they thought that was okay.  Plus ça change and all that.

Source(s): Actually live in Scotland.
  • Zirp

Because governments in London don't care about Scotland?

That might be why Scotland wants to leave the UK.

Yeah........ That photo has not been edited in anyway at all has it? Nooooooo.