Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social ScienceSociology · 1 month ago

What is life like living in poverty ?

I am a Royal customer at one of my cities ‘most luxury coffee shops’ where a small chocolate bar (30g) can cost $5-6 or £4/5. And a luxury snack that I buy can feed an entire family living on the breadline. 

• amy

Ive grown up in lower class. Raised myself quickly to middle class then plummeted to poverty. Example the corona restrictions make no difference in my life as I can only afford to leave my house to get necessities anyway. Many times I have to way up which requires meds I hav to go without this pay. I cant afford treatment I need and the medicare system doesnt cover it. Because I cant afford my treatment im left unecessarily disabled I find cheap alternatives though that would take much longer if ever. I was living off of bread/toast and the occasional sausage for protein however my therapy pet requires veterinary service so I have reduced to porridge and powdered milk. Im about to pay a little extra at a two dollar shop so I have utensils to turn oats and powdered milk into gruel which I know how to make. Ive been homeless. Living in my car was actually a great experience but expensive and I needed to money someone could look after my two pets till I got a home so I went to a homeless hostile which was not a pleasant experience however after nearly a year of living there they got me a community housing place while I wait (probably a decade or more) for department housing so rent on my own is actually achievable though still doesn't leave me.much for bills and necessities hence only affording to leave the house to get necessities, going regularly without medication, living off cheap food. When I was earning middleclass money I still didnt waste my money I guess the biggest difference was I could afford to leave my house all the time, I could afford to socialise, I could afford to catch the train regularly, I could afford the best fuel for my car as much as I wanted to drive it, I could afford regular night outs, I could afford to buy fresh vegetables, fruit, yogurt, whole meat etc I cooked every thing from scratch and they were well balanced nutritious meals as many of my of my qualifications and job paths im a qualified nutritionist, oh and I could afford to spend money on education. Regularly I just had thousands in $50 notes hidden in my house. I use to go to the gym but then realised it was cheaper in the long run to buy my own home gym. I came across a whole dirt jumping bike for sale one day at the bike shop I was just breazing through at the time and had the spare $900 it buy it then. None of that happens now. I have heaps of money goals such as I need to pay off the vetpay bill, I then need to paycar rego, then I need to take out a NILS loan to replace my dying laptop hopefully it lasts long enough and if nothing else finacial happens during or after that I can then slow start rebuilding my bike which will be a long term cost. I would like to eventually go back to dirt jumping. Oh and I buy all my clothes second hand.

I'm sad that you seem to have gone ahead and treated yourself to those expensive luxuries instead of donating the money.

I know poor people. My friend Katie lives in a one-bedroom duplex, where her landlord does as little as possible to maintain a safe rental unit. (It took him four days to repair the only toilet when flushing it brought raw sewage up and overflowing.)

She has a car but sometimes walks or takes the bus because she's had to let her insurance lapse.

She lives where there are severe winters but heats only the bedroom. She has no air conditioning, so on muggy days she tries to find an air conditioned public place where she can linger. I don't know how she's managing with libraries closed where she lives.

She hasn't had dental care in a dozen years.

She has diabetes but cannot afford her prescription.

She does not go out for a meal, ever. She doesn't buy coffee or a soft drink or a snack, ever. She doesn't go to the movies or concerts.

She can't afford to drink alcohol more than rarely.

She has no internet at home, and no cell phone.

She doesn't have cable TV.

She buys new underwear, but all her other clothing, including shoes and coats, is used.

Sometimes she runs out of food before she runs out of month. Her sister, who lives in the area, invites her to dinner and sends her home with leftovers and then some.

She will not accept welfare or help from friends.

Just think what your treat could do for someone living like that, who never, ever gets any kind of treat.

It is like this shitforbrains troll - if you never had electricity - would you miss it?