Got into a hit and run accident today?

Hi I got into a accident on the highway, in Miami, FL. The person hit me from behind and ran. I was able to get his license plate. So police came gave a police report and told me to call his insurance. Since I didn't auctually see the person in the van that hit me they couldn't issuse a ticket. What should I do should I just call the guys insurance, or get a lawyer? 

I wasn't injured, Never been in a hit and run before. I only have liability insurance.

You contact YOUR INSURANCE.  Your insurance protects you. They will take the information you have and find the other guy and his insurance. Your insurance company is your MUSCLE against the other insurance company. You have a deductible on your insurance meaning you pay the deductible out of your pocket and any cost HIGHER THAN THAT your insurance covers and then goes after the other insurance company to pay for it.  It is not up to you to be a P.I.    Your insurance will take care of it if it is higher cost.  That is how liability works.  You will find most of the time the cost of the damage is "your deductible".

. Let your insurance find out whether the other guy HAS ANY INSURANCE.  If not, then you get a lawyer and Sue him.  Chances are you will not collect any money...if he does not have insurance he does not have to have any money anyways.

. Suck it up.  This is the way it goes.  If you got hit in the rear then it has to be the other car's fault.

• Mr.357

No use wasting money on a lawyer if the other insurance will pay for your damages.  See if they will pay for the damage to your vehicle.  If not, you might want to consider hiring a lawyer if you have $10,000 or more damage.

We all have had this issue before, but I'm not a lawyer. I'm assuming the police or DMV tied the plate to a name already? Call his/her insurance company first, explain what happened and fax the police report to the person assigned to your case. These hit and runs are pretty standard cases with insurance companies today. They'll get the ball rolling with depositions on both sides. It's like a hearing that you swear to tell the truth, etc. except run by the insurance company. You'll find out who was driving it pretty quickly, they'll want photos on both vehicles, and the police will be notified later to pass out fines. Lying under oath to an insurance company is worse than in front of a judge. They can destroy your credit quicker than saying Mississippi!  But let the person in the van sweat it out. You don't need to get a lawyer at this point.

• Edna

Even if you have a police report that says someone hit you from the rear, you can't call "his" insurance company because you don't know the name of the person who hit you and you don't know the name of his insurance company. 

Usually, I would tell you to call YOUR insurance company. But, that's not going to do you any good, not if all you have is Liability coverage. Liability covers the damage your vehicle causes to the other driver's vehicle; it does not cover any damage to YOUR vehicle. If all you have is Liability coverage, you're out of luck. Even if you have the other driver's license plate number, your insurance company is still going to deny your claim - you haven't bought the necessary insurance coverage. All you have is Liability coverage.

If you don't know the name of the person who hit you, it's not going to do you any good to hire a lawyer.  How are you going to file suit against anybody, if you don't know the name of the unknown driver who hit you and you don't know the name of his insurance company?

This is another example of why people who carry only Lability coverage think they're "saving money" on the cost of insurance, until it happens to them. Regardless of whatever kind of clunker you're driving: If you expect your insurance company to cover any damage to your vehicle, you have to carry both Liability and Collision coverage.

Source(s): peo
  • May

File a claim against the guy.  With only liability coverage, your own insurance company cannot help you so you are on your own.   I would avoid hiring a lawyer if I could.

Don't bother calling lawyers.  You weren't hurt, so they won't be interested.  Besides, you don't need one.

You got rear-ended, so there won't be any dispute about fault.  And you've got a plate number, which the cops used to trace the owner's name and insurance info.  You don't need a lawyer for any of that, at least not so far.

Contact the other idiot's insurance company (it doesn't matter who was driving, the owner is responsible for accidents), tell them what happened, and they'll tell you to go get a repair estimate or two.

I would call his insurance and track him down and sue him.

You notify YOUR insurance company and YOUR company advises you.

You will have to identify and contact the owner of the vehicle.  Your insurance company will not be able to do anything for you.  If the owner balks, sue him and let him identify the driver.

Call the guys insurance and then get a lawyer if problem isn't resolved.