Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceCareers & EmploymentLaw & Legal · 1 month ago

Can my fiancé be fired if he misses work due to me being in labor?

I’m 39 weeks pregnant and can honestly give birth at any time. My fiancé just got a new job about a month ago, he told his employers that I am pregnant and there may be a time where he may not be able to come into work when scheduled because he is my support person when I give birth. His boss said that was fine and proceeded to hire him. Well him and his boss were talking today and his boss told him if I give birth within the next 2 days and he doesn’t go to work instead that he would be fired. I think he’s mad because it could be the 4th of July and they get pretty busy that day, but if it happens I can’t help it. My fiancé plans on working the 4th but i mean baby’s come when they want. I’m almost positive he can’t legally fire him. My fiancé is a full time employee he works anywhere from 35-40 hours a week depending on what they give him. But this does have me a little bit worried. Does anyone here know anything about this? 

• Ana

His boss can fire him if he wants. Chances are, the real reason he wants to fire him is because your boyfriend sucks at his job. I recommend that your boyfriend not give his boss an excuse to fire him

Sorry, but yes, they CAN legally fire him. And he probably will have no recourse. You aren't married. He ought to be asking for the time off in some way that doesn't make the supervisor angry about it--because it sounds like he simply 'demanded' the time off instead of asking--or trying to work out some alternative schedule. 

Yes, your fiancé can be fired for missing work.  Someone who has been employed for one month is not eligible for FMLA job protection.

• Scott

I suppose he could get fired. That's a risk he's going to have to take.

• Judy

He could legally be fired.  Good luck on the baby waiting a few more days.

You should move your question to Business and Finance subcategory  Careers and Employment.

I am in UK and he would not be fired for that even if it was on a very busy day but stop stressing as most pregnancies go to 41 weeks, Good Luck

Yes he can   be fired.