Lv 7
. asked in Business & FinanceTaxesUnited States · 1 month ago

Is it true that even the most hardcore criminals in the U.S. fear the IRS?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

It isn't true that MOST people of any description fear any given entity.

• 1 month ago

No hardcore criminal fears much at all about the US government. The days of getting caught like Al Capone are pretty much over. They all think they aren't going to get caught. And tax evasion is no longer the 'go to' means by which to catch them. 

• 1 month ago

Not if they think they won't get caught.

• Erik
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

I doubt it.  Criminals usually don't have the best judgment, and don't think about the consequences.  But intelligent ones at least think about it.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Judy
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

no..............................................

• Scott
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

You bet. Remember it was the IRS that brought down Al Capone.

• danxp2
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

No. The FBI handles most banking fraud and money laundering case. The IRS has been so far gutted from multiple ‘IRS Reform Acts” that they can’t do their job. No one since Al Capone has really gone away not for the crimes but for the tax evasions. They did once have this mystique that scares all, but now they are not a lion, they are a pet lap sitting cat.

If you are not relatively poor and trying to play fast and loose with EITC Or other refundable credits there is very little chance you are going to have any problems with the IRS. File every year, keep them up to date with any changes of address and you should be fine. Those notice to seize assets, if you do ever receive them, will come in   plenty of time to respond to, dispute, pay, or set up a payment plan before anything happens.

• 1 month ago

I don't know about fear but if they want to keep their freedom and stay out of jail they would be smart to launder their money carefully (and most do).  Personally I'm glad that the tax people have strong powers.  People think that if they cheat on their taxes that they are cheating the corrupt government and so there is not much wrong with that, when they are actually cheating their fellow citizens.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.