Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 1 month ago

Why does my dog keep trying to go over the fence? I have a border collie and he seems quite happy here and I never leave him outside?

unattended for more than 10 minutes. I play with him nearly everyday. I just fixed one side so he can't go over and now he is obviously trying to figure out how to go over the other side. He is neutered. He is loved, what is his issue? The fence is 4.5 to 5 foot high , so I understand it is a fairly short fence but I don't have the money for a new fence.

How do you have a life and play with/train a dog hours everyday? I have other concerns as well, I play with him a lot all ready.

Sorry,  but you haven't studied the needs of the breed before getting this dog by the looks of it.    A Border Collie is a true working dog and if true to the breed shouldn't even be considered as a pet house dog.   They are a dog that should be out running in the fields all day.  They have a really high metabolism and so much energy that they need to be on the go all day long. 

You ask..."How do you have a life and play with/train a dog hours everyday?"

The answer is that with a true to breed Border Collie, you don't.   The dog WORKS with you all day on a farm or similar. 

I don't know how old this dog is but you could consider lots more mental activity such as obedience or agility training.   Difficult one this but quite honestly he wasn't the right choice of breed for you.   I couldn't deal with a Border Collie needing that much attention and exercise but then I wouldn't get one. 

If this dog is very young then rehoming might be a better solution while he is young enough to find the life he needs. 

some times dogs who have been desexed later then normal may still  be sexually aware and maybe he is looking for a female. Can you get something on your fence to maker it higher?

• Ocimom

Border collies are high energy - they are good at jumping and running.

My Gordon Setter used to climb my chain link fence, go to my neighbors' house and bark until they came out.  Then I would hear him, go to the neighbor, bring him back, and he would climb over the fence again.

I replaced the chain link with stockade and that ended that.

Some time later I found that the neighbor was giving my dog chocolate chip cookies when he came to their house.

How do I have a life and play with/train a dog hours every day?  I thought about that BEFORE I got the dog, not after.  Your dog is an active breed.  Did you do ANY research or was this a spontaneous purchase?

You need to raise the fence to 6 foot.  I got a 6 foot chain link fence around my little half acre.  Plus, with chicken wire attached to the bottom of the fence & buried, no dog can dig out & no dog can dig in.  I had dog proofed my yard, dog proofed my home & my dog is save in her environment.

• *****

His issue is that he's bored out of his skull. Playing with a border collie "nearly" every day isn't going to cut it. These are dogs meant to WORK- all day, every day. In a non-working home they need to be exercised for an extended time daily, and ideally be seriously involved in dog sports. If you can't spend hours a day with your dog playing, exercising, and training, this is not the dog breed for you. This is not a breed that is appropriate for "just a pet". You can't stick them in your yard and play with them when you feel like it and have them be okay with that. They're going to develop behavioral problems. Successful border collie owners use them daily for their intended purpose or they really don't "have a life" outside of their job and the dog (and many have jobs where the dog can accompany them).

I have half of one, and the Border personality definitely dominated his other half. He will do the same thing. He loves to jump, run, whatever. I give him 2 very lengthy walks per day, tugs with ropes, fetch, outside time, and it still never seems to be enough. The other day, on a walk, he tried to jump the neighbors fence. I think part of it is showing off that they can do it, LOL.

With that said, we are currently doing all we can to build him a small beginner's agility course in the back yard and teaching him simple things like jumping over sticks/wood board, simple jumps, commands outside. He seems REALLY into it and loves it. It has prevented bad manners outside, digging, jumping fences, etc. Now he runs out, sits down by a big stick and waits for commands. 

These dogs are extremely outdoor/work-driven; if given the choice between herding sheep and a big, fat juicy steak, they will take the sheep every single time. Your dog just needs more stimulating activities to do, that's all. It doesn't mean he wants to run away from you. He's trying to tell you, "LOOK FAMILY, I CAN JUMP, I WANT TO JUMP, LOOK AT ME JUMP, I WANT TO JUMP!" So when you are outside with him, give him something to do, something to really look forward to. These dogs can get bored easily, but NEVER when it comes to fun outdoor activities that gets their blood pumping. 

I have a kelpie. She has a lot of energy. I take her out often to the boonies and let her run for hours being that I don't have a herd of animals for her to help with haha. When we get home she's still at it running around the perimeter of the back yard. I've never seen her dead tired. Less energetic yes, but not completely drained.

I don't think your dog has any issues.

A border collie was breed to be a heard dog.  This dog LOVES to run and be active.  The dog needs MORE attention and playtime than what you are giving it.  The dog is bored and looking for more entertainment than what it is finding in it's own yard.

How do I know - I had a border collie and I spent HOURS per day training and engaging with that dog.  The dog isn't happy unless someone is playing with it.

• A

Border collies are very active dogs, he may need more exercise,  breeders suggest 6 ft high fences for these dogs