Bill
Lv 7
Bill asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 3 months ago

Why can the US have WMD's, but other countries can not?

Why is it that the only country in the world to use them is allowed to keep them and even make new ones to replace their old ones, but countries like Iraq and Iran are not allowed to have them at all

Update:

The argument that countries like Iran are dangerous also don't hold up when the US has a long history of picking fights with other countries and even killing their leaders. 

Update 2:

There is no evidence that Saddam ever had WMD's, so nice try, but nope. 

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    3 months ago

But, Bill, other countries DO have them:  England, France, Israel, Russia, China, Pakistan, India and North Korea.  The thing is that most of the rest of the world has signed on to UN non-proliferation treaties.  

As for Iraq, the ceasefire agreement it signed to end the first Gulf War included a requirement that it list all its WMD, WMD labs and WMD delivery systems, and then prove to UN inspectors that it destroyed them.  It did NOT fulfill the last requirement.

As for Iran, this is a rogue nation that has exported terrorism internationally, and which has for years loudly proclaimed it will eliminate Israel.  Such a nation should not be allowed to possess weapons with which it can carry out such aims.

--

Bill, why are you so ignorant about Iraq WMDs?  They compiled the list of WMDs, labs and delivery systems they had per UN Security Council Resolution 687.  The inspectors were only there to confirm they had destroyed those listed systems.

• 3 months ago

If the US really was the only country to have those weapons, you'd have a very valid point.  But they're not, so you don't.  

Seriously, you didn't even try to make an effort with that one.  I'm not even an American and I just shot you down in flames.

• 3 months ago

I get what you’re saying but the US isn’t the only one allowed to have them. I would say it does have its roots in America’s desire for hegemony of the Middle East. Iran and Iraq having nuclear weapons limits US influence. That is why the US allows Israel to have nuclear weapons and even funds Israeli forces, because Israel is strategically located to allow US to remain influential.

It is also interesting how people say Iran and Iraq aren’t mature enough when it has been the US to cause the most destabilization in these regions by leaving power vacuums and enabling radicals. And the US has been the only country to nuke civilians.

• Jon
    Lv 4
    3 months ago

The same reason for not allowing a 3 year old to play with a loaded gun. 

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    3 months ago

Go ask the United Nations............................

• Anonymous
    3 months ago

Because other countries like Iraq and Syria use them against their own people. 

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.