Brittany asked in SportsRunning · 1 month ago

I lost my period due to too much running. If I quit running and switch to using an exercise bike will I get my period back?

No.

It's not that you are running. It's you are exercising too much. If you put the same effort* into bicycling you put into running, it won't make a difference.

If you have not done so already, you should check with your physician. Your symptom could have a cause unrelated to running.

You also need to check with your physician about the possibility you have, or might soon have, female athlete triad.#   

* One good way to compare exercises is by calories consumed. Another is by comparing heart rates.

# The female athlete triad is a medical condition observed in physically active females involving three components: 1) low energy availability with or without disordered eating, 2) menstrual dysfunction, and 3) low bone density. An individual does not need to show clinical manifestations of all three components of the female athlete triad simultaneously to be affected by the condition. Consequences of these clinical conditions may not be completely reversible, so prevention, early diagnosis, and intervention are critical. All athletes are at risk of the female athlete triad, regardless of body build or sport.  

https://www.acog.org/clinical/clinical-guidance/co... 

• .

That depends. The running, specifically, isn't the problem. "Exercise itself doesn’t cause menstruation to stop. It’s the mismatch between energy consumed and energy used, resulting in what’s called low energy availability."  You can read more at the source article. Basically if a woman is using too much energy exercising and your body doesn't have enough to keep ALL it's other functions/systems going, it may shut off any that aren't needed (e.g., reproduction). 

.

Switching to biking MAY make a difference, if you are burning fewer calories in the biking than the running. It may also be that you just need to up your calorie/nutrition intake so your body has enough fuel to do everything, and that may allow you to continue running if you choose.

probably .............................