Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentElections · 1 month ago

Is it rude to ask someone who they are voting for?

Let me give a little context. About five minutes ago, I received a text from a representative with “Beto O’Rourke’s“ group asking me who I was supporting for President. Now they didn’t use the word “vote,” but the way they phrased the question was literally “who will you be supporting for President?” In your own opinion, do you see this as rude or feel like this question is an invasion of privacy? I heard that it’s illegal to even ask someone who they are voting for in some states (I’m from Texas), is this true?

Side note: I have no idea how these people got my number, I’ve been getting them once a day now. Not only that, but at the beginning of the text they said, “Hi, Robin.” Robin is my mother’s name??? I don’t know how they got my number and thought it was my mother. Does anybody else experience this?? Thanks everyone.

I could care less.

Only if you DON't shoot them when they say Trump...

Spam is always "rude". But yes, it's considered déclassé to ask someone in person to violate the privacy of the secret ballot. Yes, we all experience this. I somehow got onto the Sanders' campaign radar and it was a few months of near harassment by email, text, robocall and humans asking for money. 

• Daisy

No, it's not rude to ask this type of question.  You are receiving robo calls (probably from voter registration records).  You don't have to answer the phone or give them any information.   You will be getting stuff like this right up to the election.  Brace for it.  Both sides- it will be very annoying. 

Thats like asking someone if they are a C-O-C-K SUCKKER... THERE should be no difference.. It's just a question and isn't it better to ask then to hint and be accused of sexual harassment...

• Clive

It's not illegal to ask, but perfectly reasonable to respond "none of your damn business" when it's a secret ballot.

Thank goodness I'm not American - parties here don't do that and if they ever did on my phone, they would get sworn at like all scammers do.

• Jeff D

They're probably fishing for contributions.  If you respond favorably, they'll most likely hit you up for donations.

There are laws against commercial spamming, but they typically don't apply to political organizations.

• A.J.

It's rude without stating or indicating a purpose to justify the invasion of privacy.

"supporting" is milder and less personal than "vote".

It is not illegal to ask someone who they are or did vote for.

It is illegal to coerce, bribe, or otherwise impel depending upon exact statutes.

There are many ways to get information now. Keeping totally private is almost impossible.

I get a lot of spam calls, surveys, spam mail, and more. Some I initiated in one way or another.

Maybe you "friended" someone on Facebook that was a malicious entity, or someone you know did? Maybe you clicked a link you should not have.

Maybe you signed a petition including an email address?

Voter registration records are public records.

Criminal and arrest records are public records.

Property taxes and certain property ownership are public records.

If every time you see something unexpected you try to investigate the source, that is all you will do with your life.

• y

Political polls and such, asked slanted questions and limit response so they can achieve the outcome they wish. It is now also know that some are pretending or share the info, answer wrong and you suddenly become a target.

Strictly speaking, it ain't nobody's business.   And if I was you, I wouldn't give them an answer.   It used to be that you'd be on the receiving end of discrimination, if you didn't belong to their party.   I suffered a lot of job discrimination for being honest about my politics.   Don't you do it.

I recommend that you either block their calls, or tell them not to call anymore, since you are on the National Do Not Call Registry.   Get rid of them.