Was there a drug crisis in the 1990s and early 2000s?

I was a kid and teen in the 1990s and early 2000s and wouldn't have a clue.

The movies, music, TV shows, even people I saw in public then, I couldn't help but think a lot of those people were on the aggressive, unsympathetic side and maybe it was a result of drug use? I mean specifically the Western countries.

In the 90s and 2000 crack cocaine was extremely popular. Now people have found out how devastating it is now they're smoking crystal meth even more devastating and opioid addiction rages out of control there's a very good reason to not start with drugs the cycle just keeps getting worse and worse and worse

• martin

There was definitely a drug crisis in the 1990's and early 2000's, and at other times also, such as the 1960's.  America, and the rest of the world who mostly follow suit with the USA, have had drug crises of both street drugs and prescription drugs for decades.

How can you claim to be a 90's kid and not remember all the anti-drug adverts from that time? "This is your brain, this is your brain on drugs" ring a bell? It all carried over from the 80's then kind of died out, because they realized they were making kids MORE curious about drugs rather than preventing use in the first place. 

There still is a massive drug crisis going on now. It never went away. And don't sit there and also claim that everyone you ran into was on drugs, how silly. The drugs change with the times. First it was LSD and marijuana, then coke, speed, and heroine, and now it's pills.