Does the ‘bedroom tax’ apply for private rented property?


If I was to claim universal credit and the housing element in universal credit and have a spare bedroom would The bedroom tax effect me or is it council property only? 

3 Answers

  • 1 month ago

    The 'bedroom tax' applies to social housing provision, and housing benefit provision.

    It's not a tax; it's a reduction in benefits if you have an extra room you're deemed not to need (ie the council won't pay for bedrooms you're not using)

  • Maxi
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

    If someone claims benefits and HB  for ANY rental property then that person gets less benefit if they have additional bedrooms to their needs, it matters not if the rental property is already subsidised council property or privately rented.

    But you are a full time student and not eligable to claim UC/HB anyway, so you will get no benefits... student grants, student loans is what you need to research to subsidise your p/t work so you can continue your f/t education however student grants/loans will depend on if it is further education courses( eg college) or higher eduction ( University)..if you are not eligible for student grants, then like MANY you will have to subsidise yourself by getting more work hours or finding another job or of course remaining living at home so your parents subsidise your living costs

  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

    Mya, your previous question has been answered regarding this topic. Go look back at the answers you received.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.