Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsSingles & Dating · 1 month ago

Is this a sugar daddy scam?

So my friend got a dm from a guy named Trevor Josse ( username: trevor_josse) and basically he said he wanted to be her sugar daddy and he'd pay her $1000/week. The weird thing is he claims he lives in Florida/ turkey and my friend is from Canada so it would be a long-distance thing, which can be of risk to scams. He told her to download this texting app and all he wanted was her to just message him throughout the day. After she got the app he told her that he needed an itunes gift card for calling/texting fees, since he's in Turkey currently. He said they don't sell them there and needed a $50 one. My friend just went ahead and bought one and told him the code on the back. He asked for banking details ( idk which ones he got) for the deposit/e-transfer. I found this weird since ik for e-transfer you only need an email really. He then sent a photo, of an apparent screenshot of him sending her $1100. This was on sunday, and today she received $1000 in her account. A friend of mine told me this could still be a scam even if she got the money. She said sometimes the deposit can bounce after a week or two and if you spent the fraudulent money, you now owe it back. I'm really concerned for her, and want to figure out if this guy is legit or not. For some reason when i type his name in, Miami Florida pops up beside it as a possible google search. and the second google result is a sex offender list. Can this be a scam even if she got a deposit?

• camray

Most definitely a scam. No doubt. Never send any $, gift cards, or bank info to these bloodhounds. If he’s a sugar daddy he has the $ and the means to take care of things without your friends help. And by the way.. there are no free lunches in nature. Do you really think a randomly stranger is going to drop $1000/wk in her lap? Also make sure if the guy has her bank account number or other information she has to alert the bank right away so they can freeze her account and put some fraud protection in place. She’ll have to talk to someone at the bank to both help protect her from getting ripped off and to keep herself out of any potential liability for what they (the scammers) might do in her name.  Have her do it ASAP!

Is this a sugar daddy scam? - it's a scam.

So my friend got a dm from a guy named Trevor Josse ( username: trevor_josse) - ok

and basically he said he wanted to be her sugar daddy and he'd pay her $1000/week - ok. So is she on some sort of sugar daddy website or was it out of the blue.? 

Scammer is relying on victim's greed here to get a reply from them and it worked.The weird thing is he claims he lives in Florida/ turkey and my friend is from Canada so it would be a long-distance thing - all scans are long distance. It's how they work.  But a better guess at location would be Ghana / Nigeria.

He told her to download this texting app - red flag! Why???? Another scammer red flag. Getting the victim to use a texting app makes it harder to trace anything back to him

and all he wanted was her to just message him throughout the day - ok. Classic luring in of a naïve victim 

After she got the app he told her that he needed an itunes gift card for calling/texting fees, since he's in Turkey currently - another red flag. Of course Turkey sells them. Scammers claiming to be somewhere where you can't buy this or the other is a classic sign of scamming.

He said they don't sell them there - absolute rubbish! and needed a $50 one - oh I bet he does!

My friend just went ahead and bought one and told him the code on the back - so she basically bought it for him!!!! 

He asked for banking details ( idk which ones he got) for the deposit/e-transfer - I hope she did NOT give him passwords??? If she gave him more than the account number and sort code, she MUST contact her bank immediately. 

I found this weird since ik for e-transfer you only need an email really - it's not weird if he is scamming her. 

He then sent a photo, of an apparent screenshot of him - apparent being the right word. Have you done a reverse image search on that photo??

sending her $1100 - ok. 

This was on sunday, and today she received $1000 in her account - ok. But has that money CLEARED?? I doubt it. 

A friend of mine told me this could still be a scam even if she got the money - until that payment clears she hasn't got any money. She just has a payment into her account. It can take about five working days to clear.

She said sometimes the deposit can bounce after a week or two - true.and if you spent the fraudulent money, you now owe it back - you don't owe it back as such. But if say she spent that $1000 and it didn't clear, she had basically spent her own money and possibly putting her overdrawn at the bank. 

I'm really concerned for her, and want to figure out if this guy is legit or not - you are right to be concerned and there is no way this man is legit. He is scamming her. He is relying on her greed and naivety. And currently he has her bank details and a gift card she paid for.  He probably has any number of other victims he is stringing along. Those $50 gift cards soon add up!

For some reason when i type his name in, Miami Florida pops up beside it as a possible google search. and the second google result is a sex offender list - whatever he is, he is NOT genuine

Can this be a scam even if she got a deposit? - yes, it's a scam, and remember she hasn't yet got a deposit as it's not cleared!

Try and talk to your friend, but unfortunately if she won't listen, there isn't a lot you can do.