Does everyone on unemployment really get $600/week, or is this determined by cost of living in your city/state? ?

That’s more that I made at my job, but my rent was $650/mth, so I was comfortable. I don’t think $600/wk would be enough if I had children, and/or lived in NYC. But then $600/wk in my city would be too much even if I did have children.

The $600 is a flat $600 in every city/state.  It is not based on cost of living.

And, by the way, it's normally much less.  It's not usually $600.  The $600 is a temporary thing because of the virus.  The regular amount is different in different states (although not based on cost of living), but less than $600 pretty much everywhere.

Everyone got an extra 600 a week on top of their regular unemployment. I know someone who took an extended leave (age factor), got on unemployment and is getting more each week than they make in a month. It ends soon, though.

The extra money was a federal gift. But you make the valid point that things like "median income" are useless when you're paying $650 for rent and someone in San Francisco is paying $3,650 for the same exact apartment. 

It totally varies by state, and also depends on what your previous job was paying.