Will a RX 5500 XT work with my current specs?

These are my PC’s specs

Motherboard: ASRock FM2A68M-DG3+

Processor: AMD A8-7650K

Ram: HyperX Fury 8GB DDR4

PSU: 450 Watts

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

Your CPU will be a bottleneck. I'm also curious on how you're running DDR4 on a board and CPU that don't support DDR4. 

• 1 month ago

It should, but the CPU won't work well with the RX 5500xt. Hate to break this to you but the CPU is terrible and you should probably look to upgrade the CPU, RAM, and Motherboard first. Even the best CPU's for the socket FM2+ platform are terrible. In the end you'll have some wild framerate issues in newer games with the A8-7650K.

The GPU primarily allows you to set the screen resolution and the settings but the CPU is primarily responsible from framerates.... to a certain extent. What you need to know is, the CPU commands the GPU to render a frame so if the CPU is terrible then you'll get unstable framerates. 

AMD has new Ryzen 4000 series APU's that should be released within the coming months and those would be a good alternative. These new APU's will come with integrated graphics that should be able to play all AAA games at 1280x720, and some games will play at 1080p low settings. 

• 1 month ago

Will it work? - Yes

Will it work well? - No, not with the FM2 platform and a 65w processor.

Also, you have DDR3 RAM, not DDR4

• David
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

In general any motherboard manufactured in the last 10years is compatible with any graphics card manufactured in the last 10years. Other things you need to consider

a) Whether the card will fit in the case - some modern cards are dual slot and occupy a fair length and width

b) Whether the power supply is sufficient and has enough connectors. The 5500XT card needs a minimum 450W PSU with an additional 8pin PCI-e connector. So you need to check your PSU on this

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.