Anonymous

Do you suggest I take an extra semester to get my Associates degree?  ?

Going into my first year of college I will have 17 credits. Im trying to get my lower-division GE requirements done in a year. I plan on taking 15 credits during the summer, 19 credits in the fall and 20 in the spring. All of these credits go to IGETC and my major requirements to the top 4 schools id like to transfer to in the following fall. Should I stay an extra semester (summer) to get my associates, it will be an extra 4 classes: 2 History classes, a multicultural requirement, and a Health an Fitness classes. They seem like easy classes but my scholarship will not go towards it making it about $600. Is it worth staying an extra semester and doing these classes? 

which summer are we talking about ??

you wrote this July 1 and "summer" hasn't started yet? or if it did, you can still W/D?  

or are you referring to 2021??

You are overloading your fall & spring terms & risk lowering your grades even if your school allows you take 18 or more credits in a semester. Since you plan to transfer, you want very high grades to improve your chances of acceptance into your choice of schools. Your plan does not sound particularly realistic. And $600 is very, very little.

Associates Degrees are barely worth mentioning on your cv, most jobs require a B.S. or 

B.A. at minimum unless you're well connected or have a skill they struggle to find locally.

Source(s): personal experience

There is no need to get an AA or AS degree if you are planning on transferring and earning a Bachelors degree.  That noted, if you overload your classes and do poorly in them, you could risk not being admitted to your preferred universities and or not having the foundation to do well once you get there.

Only you know how well you absorb and retain information and what load is reasonable for you.  I would not suggest any student taking more than 18 credits per semester.  

You could and it probably would not hurt, especially if those units will transfer.  Having an associate's degree might help if you are applying for work while at your university.  $600 is relatively inexpensive, but if it breaks the bank, perhaps you should not.  It's equivalent to a little over a full time week's work for minimum wage in California or a little over two weeks at the federal rate. I would get the degree personally, but I don't know your circumstances.

• MS

If you're planning to transfer to get a bachelor's degree, then having an associate's degree first won't really help you.  I wouldn't take an extra semester for that.