What does it mean if a company says that your application is on file ?

I applied for a job. It is a volunteer job but I am really nervous about getting it because it could lead to a really good job further down the line.

The response I received was “your application is on file and we will notify you of the dates for the next session as soon as they are confirmed”.

What does this mean? On file sounds ominous but the rest sounds promising so I am not sure what to think.

It means they threw it in the garbage can.  Don't hold your breath.

Source(s): Hurry up and wait sounds like a military problem. #sh*tmydadsays

It means they've received your application and probably that someone looked at it. They're just waiting to confirm the dates for the next session, like they said. They don't want to confirm anything when they don't even have the dates set yet. If you were rejected, they would just let you know. It sounds like they didn't reject you though 

It means they know you applied, but they aren't ready for anyone to start the job right now, so you have to wait; they will tell you when they are ready for you to do something.

• Ben

Well if it's for volunteer orientation or something maybe they haven't made the dates yet and are filled for their current session. They will plan to call you when they know what the dates are.

Its canned. They say that to everyone.  Hurry up & wait. But not by the phone.