Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingNewborn & Baby · 1 month ago

Is this a bad idea?

My one year old is still not sleeping through the night. If he falls asleep in my arms and I put him in his crib, he'll wake up either right away or an hour or so later. Then if I put him in bed with me, he'll fall right to sleep. I got him used to sleeping with me that he won't sleep in his crib and he'll cry once I put him in there. No matter what I do, he'll always wake up in the middle of the night at least twice, if not more times.. I want to get him in the habit of sleeping on his own so I was thinking about drinking a Red Bull and staying up all night because that way I'll be wide awake and less likely to put him in bed with me. If I'm wide awake, I'll be able to put him in his crib each time he cries. Also, I won't get all comfortable in bed and have him cry in the middle of the night and be half asleep. I know I'll be super tired tomorrow, but my parents could take over and watch him during the day so I can nap. I'm just tired of these sleepless nights and want him to get in the habit of sleeping on his own because it's not comfortable sharing a bed with him and he should be sleeping through the night. I rather have a few sleepless nights and get him to finally be able to sleep in his crib and sleep through the night then have him sleep with me until he's 2 or 3...

Try these tips and observe his routine to see if there are some changes you can do to make him sleep longer -

Block Out Noise. Sirens, a running shower, and even chirping birds may trigger your bundle of pleasure to rise and shine a bit too soon. Try using a solid conditioner, often called a white noise machine, to mask loud interruptions and allow your baby to associate that sound with sleep.

Keep Your Baby Comfortable. A wet or dirty diaper may be waking up your baby, so if this is an issue, try switching from regular diapers to immediately diapers. A room that is too hot or too cold can also disrupt sleep, so keep the temperature between 65 and 70 degrees Fahrenheit. Adults generally require a cooler room (60 to 67 degrees) but smaller children are often more comfortable with a bit more warmth.

Think about using an alert or a light with a timer on it and placing it for a more acceptable hour to help your baby better understand when it's time to get up. Do not let your kid get up for the day prior to the light or audio alarm goes off or they will not take the timer badly (even though you might go in and tell them it is not time to get up yet if they are really crying).

Let Him Self Soothe. Going to have your baby as soon as he wakes in the early morning hours may reinforce that it's okay to get up at that time. Consider letting the child be for approximately 30 minutes and see whether your baby can soothe himself back to sleep. Consider placing a few soft toys in the crib, so that if your baby does wake up, he can play for a little while before possibly going back to sleep for a bit longer.

Adjust the Bedtime. Placing your baby to bed too late may actually lead to sleep deprivation and cause your child to wake up earlier than he is ready. Try putting your baby to bed 15 minutes earlier each night and see whether he sleeps slightly later in the morning.

Ensure That Your Baby is Getting Enough Sleep. It sounds counter-intuitive, but sleep-deprived babies will actually sleep less and more! If your baby is not napping enough during the day, he'll be more apt to wake up at the crack of dawn--or even earlier. Sleep needs vary by age, so learn what amount is likely best for your tot.

Lots of bright sunlight shining through the curtains at sunrise may be waking up your tot, so use blackout shades to keep the room dark and make it easier for your baby to remain asleep. However, you don't need the space to be overly dark. Plugging in a really dim nightlight may soothe a child who's fearful of the pitch black and help them see the comfortable, comforting surroundings. 

Do a Fantasy Feeding. If he is waking up before sunrise because of hunger, consider giving your child a bottle at about 11:00 pm, taking care to rouse him as small as possible. This might be enough to stop any hunger pains from luring him awake all too early.

I hope it helps:)

• L

Stop the day time naps, make sure he has a full tummy, cry butt, is warm and put him in his crib.  Turn some quiet music on and LEAVE THE ROOM.  If he wakes up - leave him be....he will go back to sleep once he realizes you are NOT going to come to his rescue.

This is going to be really hard to start now but you should try not to rock him to sleep, it seems as though he is unable to get himself to sleep. If he was able to do this, you would probably find he wouldn't need the feeds to help him get back to sleep. You could try some sleep training (letting him cry for a minute, then 2 minutes etc etc) or help him by reducing and then stopping the rocking. I would suggest rocking him until he seems very sleepy then putting him down (before he is asleep). You can then gradually reduce the length of time you rock him for to zero, meaning he can get himself to sleep and more importantly get himself back to sleep after waking in the night. There is a lot if baby bedtime information to be found here

You're not the only one with this problem. My 11 month old has gotten used to sleeping in our bed. He'll easily sleep through if he's cuddled up to me but in his crib he doesn't go for more than a couple of hours without waking. We're gradually trying to leave him for longer when he wakes so that he's learning to self-settle. One thing that does seem to work is cutting down his daytime naps so that he's very tired by evening and giving him a snack (a small bowl of oatmeal, for example) just before bed so that he stays fuller for longer. 

You will just be replacing one bad habit with another bad habit.  The child will just become used to you responding to his crying very quickly.  The child will think that the new normal is you sitting nearby waiting for him to wake up.

But - whatever - you have already done the damage - just keep trying things until you get the habits broken.  The biggest thing is to NEVER put the child back into your bed - EVER.  

• martin

Sleepless nights are dangerous, unless you can cat-nap during the day.  The child will eventually go into a crib and sleep through the night, but not at this age.

i dont think so