Anonymous

College Tips? Keys for Survival?

Getting ready to apply for college this month. I'd love some tips on my applications and how to seem impressive. (I'm applying for a few colleges in Florida, Hawaii, NC, TX, and UT)

After I've been accepted... what should I do? Are there people I should get close to? Is study abroad a good option? Anything I should bring with me that helped you survive?

Along with that, should I try to go to a fun school Freshman year (like Hawaii) and then take studies more seriously Sophomore thru Senior (like Duke or Florida)?

I'm hoping to be a Sports Medicine Doctor. 

Any advice you have would be super helpful!!

• MS

You should choose a school that best suits your needs in terms of program of study (you will need something that will prepare you for medical school), what you can afford (be very aware of out-of-state tuition costs), how far away from home you want to be, campus life that you desire, etc.  You should find a place and then stay there.  Jumping around is not a good idea.  Neither is trying to have "fun" your freshman year before getting serious.  If you want to go to medical school then you need to take things seriously from the start. 

There is no one to get close to until you arrive on campus.  Then it's a good idea to make some friends and perhaps identify some study partners in some of your classes.  

Once accepted (hopefully to more than one school), you choose among those you were accepted to, send in your enrollment deposit and housing deposit, and follow their instructions for what procedures to do.  

Study abroad can be great.  It can also delay your graduation in some cases, although it's usually designed not to.  Talk to an advisor about it.  That's not something that you need to decide now.  

As for what to bring, that depends entirely on you, what you will have available to you, what you will need, etc.  We have no idea. 

• John

Your basic plan (to have fun as a freshmen and then get serious) is a recipe for disaster.  That is especially true for those who want to go to medical school.  

The mathematical principals behind a GPA greatly favor those who start out with high grades.  If you have a high GPA after 2 years, hitting a rough spot later will not lower your GPA that much.  If you have a low GPA after 2 years, doing well your last 2 years will not increase your GPA that much.  Considering one needs as close to a 4.0 as possible to get into medical school, a bad start would be difficult to recover from.  

That is not to say you cannot have a good college experience and still get good grades.  You have to fit in that good experience around academics, though, not vice versa.