Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentImmigration · 1 month ago

Am I eligible for British citizenship?

I was born in Nigeria in 2001 and lived there till I moved to London at 6 years old in 2008. I lived in London for about 1 year and 8 months. I then moved back to Nigeria for about 1 year and 9 months and then came back to London in 2012 when I was 10 and I’ve been living in London for the last 8 years. I am now 18 years old and in total I have lived about 8 years in Nigeria and 10 years in the UK. Yet I still only have a Nigerian citizenship, over half my life has been spent in the UK. I’ve spent year 2, year 3 and The beginning year 4 and the end year 5 in the UK and I spent year 6 all the way to year 13 and about to go to uni in the UK I did my 11+ here, my GCSEs and my A-levels here. Is there anyway I can get citizenship ?

What was your status in the UK during your various times living there? Did your parents immigrate there legally with you? Have you gotten ILR (Indefinite Leave to Remain - legal permanent residency status)? If so, when? If you & your parents (since at the time of your entry to UK you were a minor child) have legally immigrated & attained ILR, then you must complete years of residency in UK & other requirements to apply for citizenship. If you have not attained ILR, you do not qualify for citizenship. If you are not a legal immigrant, you have nowhere to go but Nigeria. Ask your parents what they have done about immigrating legally, what status they - and therefore you - have held since your arrival. 

just claim asylum

• Maxi

What is your legal status in the UK? What visa was your parent on ? Work visa? Student visa? ....and you were their dependant and as their dependant enjoyed life and education at British tax payers cost........ and while you lived in the UK for the last 8 yrs did your parent apply for ILR and later citizenship or not?

As a Nigerian wishing to go to University then you require a student visa and you will be required to pay international student fees........ people do not get given citizenship just because they have lived in the UK and got all their education for free.... so status of your parents/you is important to answer your question, as of right now with the limited information given you are an adult and no longer  a dependant so you have to return home to your own country and if you wish to remain  legally  to study then you require a student visa and to pay international University fees

What's your current legal status in the UK?

• Lisa A

What visa do you have?

i would just try to get it and see and then you'll know