Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenMaintenance & Repairs · 1 month ago

How do you fix a leaky faucet and how difficult is it to do yourself?

I worked in home remodeling for 4 years, but not much plumbing

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Mog
    Lv 7
    1 month ago
    Favourite answer

That depends on how the faucet is made. Some of them nowadays are made so they can’t be taken apart. 

• 1 month ago

If your faucet is leaking with the handle turned off, the cartridge most likely needs to be replaced. Most major faucet makers will send you a free replacement cartridge, along with the springs and seals that go with it---just call them and tell them it was installed by a plumber a few years ago. You just need to properly identify the faucet because some have serial numbers which identify them more specifically than a model number, which you should also have handy when you call. 

A good place to start for guidance is uuuuuu tuuuuub, which has a lot of videos dedicated to fixing leaks, no matter where the faucet is located. Fixing it yourself usually isn't that difficult, but if you're not sure, call a plumber. I found several videos which helped me change my kitchen sink faucet cartridges. No more leaks.

• 1 month ago

depends on a lot of factors . 

• 1 month ago

With no info as the whether bathtub, sink, outside spigot, etc.,all have packing washers that can be replaced. Look it up so I don't have to.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

I just stick a wad of gum over the faucet. Pretty simple really. Even an all thumbs no way in hell would anyone hire me as a repairman simpleton can do it without too much rehearsal.

• 1 month ago

There are as many answers to this as there are faucet types.  Everything from easy as pie to can't be fixed and must be replaced. 

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

It is better to just replace the faucet.  If you worked with wrenches and screwdrivers before, it will not be hard for you.

• User
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

bathroom sink faucet - NORMALLY has "cups and springs" (the "cup" is a little cup-shaped rubber washer). NORMALLY you can just remove the old cup-and-spring and replace with new (very inexpensive) from the plumbing supply or hardware store.

- note that some work on a different principle and typically are more expensive to repair. See "seats and stems" under bathtub faucet below for the typical alternate mechanism. Note that most sinks that use stems do not have removable seats. You just replace the stem/cartridge to get the drip to stop.

Start by removing the handle and disassembling the faucet "below" the handle to see what you've got. Bring the innards to your hardware store or plumbing supply store and they should be able to sell you the matching repair parts.

bathtub faucet - NORMALLY has seats, bibb washers (attached with bibb screw) and stems. Bibb washers are cheap and often that is the only thing that needs to be replaced. Also often, replacing the bibb washer is insufficient and seats and stems need to be replaced. You can get seat and stem kits from plumbing supply or hardware store. Usually the kit comes with a stem wrench, but not with a seat wrench. You'll probably want to have someone with experience show you how to remove and insert a seat. You'll need a special seat wrench to remove the old seats and install the new ones. You'll want to use plumber's grease on the seat threads, and on all of the threads of the stems as well, especially if you are re-using the old stems. (New stems typically have a LIGHT coating of grease and you can skip greasing new stems if you like).

On occasion the entire tub valve needs to be replaced - you'll definitely want a reputable plumber to do that. Usually involves cutting open the wall behind the tub, sometimes involves soldering ("sweating") copper pipe, etc.

Some bathtub faucets do not use the seat / washer / stem combo. Some (especially single handle types) have a cartridge. Some have cups and springs like a sink faucet.

Start by removing one handle and disassembling the faucet "beyond" the handle to see what you've got. Again: bring the innards to your store so that they can find the repair parts to match.

Kitchen sink - more of the same. Single handle models in particular tend to have a cartridge. Two-handle models are typically cup-and-spring but sometimes use a cartridge/stem.

Kitchen sinks tend to be the most problematic to repair, in my experience. It's quite common to find that the repair parts do not fix the problem. Often it's easier to replace the entire faucet. Try the cheaper repair option first, if that doesn't work, don't spend a lot of time on it - just replace the faucet.

• 1 month ago

There are a thousand websites that will take you through the process, it's very simple.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.