Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentMilitary · 1 month ago

Nursing, ANG while in school, and active duty later?(united states)?

I was wondering if I could be in the Air National Guard while I'm in nursing school and then transfer to active duty later to be a nurse in the full-time air force... Maybe this is a question to ask a recruiter, but I thought I'd give yahoo answers a shot.

I want to be a nurse in the U.S Air Force, I'm just not sure what's the right path to take for that.... I need some advice

• Mrsjvb

There is no way to transfer/commission directly as a Nurse from the ANG.

Only the Army allows SMP.  Enlisted in the Army Reserves while simultaneously doing ROTC.  There are Nurse Option ROTC contracts.  

Otherwise you need to seek a Direct Commission into the AF once you have your BSN

• Daniel

It would be really hard to be in the ANG while doing nursing school.  Most nursing schools have a set course of study.  If you had to deploy while in school, it would seriously screw up your ability to finish.  If your program included summer semesters, your two week annual training would probably interfere.  

Assuming that that all worked out, you would essentially be applying for a direct commission as a nurse as prior service afterwards.  Your enlisted ANG service would be taken into account, but you would be competing with other new nurses for an active duty nursing slot.  

You should look into AFROTC nursing scholarships (the info is on afrotc.com).