Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 1 month ago

I so regret getting a dog, should I give him away?

I love him and he's 4yo, but...

Barry, thanks. He's a cute and small pure breed dog. I probably won't have trouble finding someone, if I decide to give him...

@BERNZILLA, I was in a SO different mental, financial state, and living situation, when I got him.

@bluebonnetgranny, I think that the dog would be happier with someone else. I had dogs before, but I'm not getting any animals, ever again...

@Anonymous, I most likely won't give him away, but if I do, it will be someone I know, and who has the right conditions. Thank you (and everyone else for advices). Im sorry to hear about your dog, people are terrible. 

Unless you can run background checks REHOME HIM TO A RESCUE WHICH CAN DO BACKGROUND CHECKS.

One of my dogs was "rehomed" to some "really trustworthy people that the owner had no trouble finding."  I rescued him from a dog fight ring where he was a teaser dog.  Again, unless YOU can do background checks, surrender him to a rescue.

It's certainly your choice, but if you love him a RESCUE is the way to go.  And your decision to never own another dog is probably sound.

I'm sorry you are in this terrible situation.  I hurt for you and the dog.

• PR

I think it might help to know why you are regretting getting the dog. Your question gives very little information. Does the dog need too much time? Peeing on the floors? Chewing on things? Demanding attention? A little info might help,

More than likely, you wouldn't know how to "screen" new potential homes.  Since you said he's a purebred dog, Google the breed he is to place him in a purebred dog rescue group.  In other words, say for example he's a Yorkshire Terrier, Google Yorkshire Terrier Rescues in the area you live.  Purebred rescue groups know what they're doing and will make SURE he gets into a good home that will be a good fit for both the new owner and your dog.

If you want to get rid of him, that is not love.  You may give him away but I bet in the long run, you will want him back.  If you give away this dog, please do not get another one for at least the next 10 yrs.  By then you have educated yourself about dogs & would know what to do to raise it right.  With tender loving care.

This is SO unfair to the poor doggy. PLEASE seek help from a local rescue to responsibly rehome him.

Sucks to suck.

• Barry

If you feel that way yes. Google 'dog re-homing' or 'animal rescue' for your area.