Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationInsurance & Registration · 1 month ago

Is it a bad idea to talk to insurance claims adjuster immediately after an auto accident?

The day after the accident, the adjuster kept calling me repeatedly and leaving a message to call him back so I did to tell him I had obtained a lawyer. I guess this was a mistake cause he kept asking me if I was injured, if I went to the hospital, etc. When I refused to answer, he said legally I wasn't represented by a lawyer until his name was in my file. Sounds bogus... Then that if I don't answer his questions, my claim would be delayed or denied since he doesn't know which department it needs to go. Plus he's in Arizona so he could be recording me without my consent??

So does this guy sound shady or what??

• Mr.357

You told the insurance company that you are going to try to screw them over.  Your claim just went to the bottom of the list.  You had a wreck, you didn't win the lottery.

You are represented by a lawyer as soon as you hire one. It doesn't matter if that lawyer's name is in the 'file' of the insurance company or not. 

Whose adjuster was this?  From YOUR company?  Or the other party's?  You didn't say so your question is hard to answer. But it's probably correct that you didn't give out any information to anyone, especially over the phone. Tell the adjuster to contact your attorney and give them the name and phone of the attorney. 

Your attorney should be answering this, not strangers on the Internet.  Yes, Arizona is a one party State, and you can be recorded without your consent.

The adjuster is from YOUR insurance company or the other party's insurance company?

Yes, if you are represented by legal counsel and don't answer the questions, your claim an and will be denied.  Why do you think trying to get information on an insurance claim is "shady?"

So give the adjuster your attorney's name.  If it works out that you DON'T have an attorney, that will be part of the company's report and the truth of ALL of your statements will be in question.  Lie once, lie often.

• Phil M

If you have a lawyer, why are you asking us instead of him?

• car253

The claim rep should have stopped talking to you when you told them you have a lawyer.   He cannot deny your claim just for saying that.    If the claim rep calls back just contact your attorney to call him.   Your attorney is suppose to do everything for you.   You do not need to talk to the adjuster.   You hired your attorney and pay him to do that for you.   Let him do the work.   That is what you pay him for.   And, that is the way it works. 

Source(s): Insurance agent
  • May

It sounds as if he gave you correct answers.  If you don't cooperate, your claim will be denied.

But........You say that you hired a lawyer.  If you did hire a lawyer, why aren't you telling your lawyer about the phone call ?

Tell him to **** off.

Looks to me like he is a bold faced liar.  Since you have an attorney, don't talk to him.  Tell your attorney what he is up to.  If you can, record him after you tell him you are recording.

Source(s): Retired claims adjuster.

Shady is looking like you have something to hide, and a lie right out of the gate is a good start. The adjuster's response is exactly what the situation calls for on his end of the phone. Get the advice of an actual lawyer before you proceed.

Never talk to claims adjusters. They are trained to trick you into saying things that will be used against you to lower the value of your claim. Surprised your lawyer didn't tell you this when you signed the retainer.