Unrecoverable mistake up at work ?

Long story short. I made a major mistake at work which will cost the company and a major client a lot of money. The mistake has not been noticed yet. But it is too late to amend it as it’s been submitted. I’m now considering quitting before it all comes to a head. 

Now for a bit more context (excuses if you will)

I am a graduate in my field. Thrown in the deep end initially and thought I was coping at the time but evidentially I was missing a lot of major stuff which all went in unnoticed as my manager never really checks my work. And now it’s all come to a head as we submit the project for approval. In recent months I’ve been dealing with a close family illness at home which my manager is aware of and has been kind giving days off as I need. However all in I am unhappy at this company so don’t mind losing the job. But don’t want to have to deal with the anger of my manager when he finds out about the mistake, on top of my home situation. I’m considering handing in my notice before sh*t hits the fan. Citing my family reasons of pressed why. I’m just looking for a bit of guidance. Am I making a huge mistake quitting. Or is it the best option considering. If I am not  fired after the mistake is caugh. My manager will at least make my time a living hell for as long as I do stay. Any thoughts appreciated.  

Did you hit an iceberg again?  Where's Rose?  Maybe she can help you clean up the carnage.

If you quit.  It will look like you did it deliberately and they could have you charged with fraud.  Tell them what you did and apologize, and offer to have what it cost them taken out of your pay.  If you are fired, you are fired.  If you are not, you will feel better when it is finally all paid back - they will only take a small portion of your pay from each pay check, and they may choose to take the loss themselves.

• Scott

Go to your supervisor and admit to the mistake. Mistakes happen, don't try to cover it up or run away from it. Most bosses would rather know about a mistake as soon as possible than be blindsided by it. Honesty is the best policy.

Do not quit but learned from it.also if u just graduate I don’t see why he wouldn’t check your work or have the skills to do the job.if u quit it can mess up your next job.

Cowards run away. Adults own up to their mistakes and see if they can try to fix it.

"And now it’s all come to a head as we submit the project for approval."

That sounds like the project hasn't yet been approved. I'm curious how an unapproved project could cost your company or your clients a lot of money.

I also wonder how you noticed this mistake, but your manger is still in the dark.

Go to your boss, tell them what you found and how it can be fixed. Do not tell them about your personal woes. Tell them how to save the company from losing money.

Other than to save yourself emotional fallout from being yelled at for your mistake there's no reason to quit.  From a purely logical standpoint you should keep the paycheck flowing as long as you can.  Also, if you quit you're not eligible for unemployment. 

ALL employees make mistakes.  It's how you handle it that matters.

Your manager is going to be unhappy with you because you're an immature moron who can't own up to a mistake, apologize and attempt to make the best of it, particularly by using it as a growing/learning experience.   

Quit.  You boss will be glad to be rid of you.   Go back to your playpen until you're ready for adulthood. 

Do not put this job on your resume because it may hinder your ability to get your next job.