Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 1 month ago

Why is so expensive to make home made maspotatoes?

It was $4 for a 5 pound bag of red potatoes then I had to buy milk butter chives and fresh garlic

12 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

The trick to being able to afford to cook is to begin with a well stocked pantry and fridge/freezer.

Staple ingredients like milk, butter and garlic are never absent from my kitchen. Every week, begin adding just a few things to your shopping list, so you end up with a decent array of products to have on hand when needed. 

• 1 month ago

So you don't already have milk, butter or garlic?  Most well stocked kitchens have all this. You don;t NEED chives or garlic for basic mashed either.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

What's maspotatoes?

• denise
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Most 'kitchens' have milk, butter e.t.c. in their pantry / larder as a staple.

You could make them without chives & garlic?

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

You could buy russet potatoes that are cheaper than red ones for one thing. And from the price if you are not shopping at a discount store like Aldi or Walmart you would get a better price if you did. And if you are not feeding an army you only have to use less than half the bag of 5 pounds. 

• kswck2
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

How many are you feeding. If it is 10, then it is Not expensive. 

• 1 month ago

$4 for 5lbs of potatoes?????   Sorry I'm in the UK if they were that expensive here I'd expect them to be gold plated!

• Anton
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

Answer:  It is not expensive.

One serving of mashed potatoes is four ounces.  That is 20 cents for the potatoes.

Butter, $3/lb, you use about 1/16th of a stick of butter.  That is 5 cents.

Milk?  $3/gal, you use a half ounce.  That is just over one cent.

Salt, pepper, garlic, whatever -- very little of an amount, no more than 2 cents worth.

Oh wow.  The home made mashies cost less than 30 cents.

If you think 30 cents is "expensive" you can use russet potatoes instead of fancy red, for under 10 cents a serving.

• 1 month ago

It sure is not the farmer getting rich.

• Fuhr
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

Pat, I'd like an 'H', please.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.