I want to open a shop just for moms to be. There is none around the city I live in. Is this idea worth the risk?

Update:

Maternity items for pregnant women. 

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Isabel
    Lv 4
    3 months ago

Not in this climate.  Can it be online?

• 3 months ago

It depends on the size of your city.

BUT...take into account that the quarantine started in March/April

A lot of folks sheltered in place with their partners.

People get bored and have unprotected sex.

9 months from March is December....   9 months from April is January...

Pregnant people tend to start showing around 4-5 months.

That will be about August - September.

If you are seeing a lot of pregnant people in your area next month...you should open the shop.

RIGHT NOW...you need to make a business plan for a shop so you will be ready to go in August.  Get a CPA, get a friend, get a lawyer or get a book...and make that business plan now.   Opening a business without a plan is stupid...and no bank will give you a business loan without a business plan.

If you have to go to Fiverr or go to UPWORK and get a basic one cheap.  You can use that as a model.

• denise
    Lv 7
    3 months ago

If theres a market for it, You could look into it.

• Judith
    Lv 7
    3 months ago

I doubt it.  Most little shops which cater to a specific market don't do well because they can't compete with the big stores.  Even grocery stores carry a large supply of baby items.  Find out where moms-to-be are shopping for baby items and then check out to see if you can beat the competition's prices and selections.  Don't forget the cost of your rent, utilities (overhead).

Just how big of a market is there in your town (figure out birth announcements if your paper still covers those).  Even if every single pregnant lady shopped at your place would the income be enough to keep you afloat?  

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Tavy
    Lv 7
    3 months ago

It works in the U.K., you need to stretch it a bit for baby clothes over a year. How many pregnant ladies in your area at any one time?

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.