The Hollies vs The Beatles who’s better?

The Hollies formed in 1962 the same year The Beatles recorded Hello Little girl & Love me do & please please me but it wasn’t TIL 1963 that they released their first single which was searchin released in May of 1963 then they released in August of 1963 stay just a little bit longer & in 1964 they released just one look & here I go again. In 1965 they released I’m Alive & look through any window & the very last day & if I needed someone which is a Harrison/Beatles song. In 1966 they released bus stop & stop stop stop. In 1967 they released on a Carousel & hey Carrie Anne & king Midas in reverse. In 1968 they released Jennifer Eccles & blowing in the wind which reminds me of all you need is love & listen to me. In 1969 they released sorry Suzanne. In 1970 they released I can’t tell the bottom from the top & too young to be married. In 1971 they released hey Willy. In 1972 they released the baby & long cool woman in a black dress. In 1973 they released the day that curly billy shot down crazy Sam Magee. In 1974 they released the air that I breathe. In 1975 they released Sandy. I’m sure most of you guys know a lot more about the Beatles so I don’t need to tell you about their best songs. I feel The Hollies are certainly as good as the Beatles or maybe even better.

The Hollies could compete with the Beatles on harmonies, but nowhere close in songwriting. In the mid-60s, they were still doing a significant number of covers. You can cite some good songs, maybe as many as three from one album. Compare that with the back-to-back-to-back trio of Rubber Soul, Revolver and Sgt Pepper and there's no comparison.

Just about everyone is better than the overrated Beatles.  Yeah...I said it.

The Beatles were better.

The Hollies are vastly underrated.  But as good or better than the Beatles?  Let’s not get carried away.

You gotta be kidding me. The Hollies were OK though.

• I love The Hollies too but I really can't put them in the same league as The Beatles.  The Beatles win hands down for creativity and innovation, they had always written their own singles and stopped cover versions altogether by 1965 and every album was a creative leap forward from the last.

Are you joking? “As good as” or “better” at what exactly?

The Beatles were commercially and creatively a lot more successful than The Hollies. The Beatles were incredibly influential so far as music and recording are concerned, The Hollies weren't. The individual members of The Beatles had successful solo careers. Many of The Beatles songs were covered by a wide range of artists and have become standards. You can't say that about The Hollies.

I was a fan of The Hollies and enjoyed a lot of their single hits but they weren't in the same league as The Beatles.

• Mike

I can only comment on who I like more: The Beatles.  

At the time, I preferred the Hollies.  However, their music didn't go anywhere but the Beatles developed.  I think I have every track either band ever produced on my phone.

Beatles just by dint of output. and surviving long enough to evolve musically