Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsMartial Arts · 1 month ago

MMA: Is it taught as an actual style or.. (see details)?

I’m gonna start learning BJJ, but I also want to take Boxing lessons as well. Now... if I engage in a match (or any fight), and I do jabs, straight lefts, etc. as well as BJJ ground holds, can I say I’m doing MMA?

Or will they teach me something different (or actual MMA style) if I take MMA classes

I’m asking because I might just take MMA (if that exists) instead of seperately taking Boxing and BJJ

Thanks, best answer to best answer.

If you are serious about MMA do yourself a favor and don't take boxing from an MMA school. They are almost all garbage technically.

Sorry, I had a long breakdown written out but suffice to say, most MMA fighters are horrible boxers. Their defenses are appalling, they loop their punches and have no idea how to use their mid-range. 

If I was to do it again, I would find a good boxing instructor, and learn meld my ground submission, takedowns and striking from your MMA school.

TLDR: If you can afford it, learn boxing from an boxing gym and BJJ from an MMA school. You'll thank me later.

Steel said perfectly on why MMA schools are flawed.

Source(s): Nearly fifteen years of Martial Arts training

MMA is pretty much mainstream, there are gyms that teach it. If you learn BJJ and boxing, can you say you are doing MMA? No, just as learning how to dunk and how to dribble doesn't mean you are playing the sport of Basketball. 

Learning BJJ and boxing will give you a great base if you want to learn MMA, you just have to adjust to it, remember that MMA is a sport. 

Source(s): my brain ;)

It's a matter of opinion, but I'd say if you train two different martial arts separately, you're cross-training, but if you specifically train to blend the techniques and strategies together (ex: setting up takedowns with strikes, defending strikes on the ground, etc) then it's MMA.

Most places I've seen will teach separate classes, but have a fight/competition team training program where you get the blending of technique.  Some places have an "X martial art for MMA" type of class- one I dropped in on was advertised as "No-Gi Jiujitsu" but the day I was there, the drill was to escape side control, then throw a given combination on focus mitts your partner held once we were on the feet.  "Boxing for MMA' might include drilling things like sprawls in with the standard boxing arsenal.

So: it depends.

• Steel

I have seen places unironically advertise and teach MMA as a style unto itself. What that translates to, though, isn't universal across places that make this claim. What you should at least find similar with such places is that they'll teach some method of striking and some method of grappling, either standing, on the ground, or both.

Just my two cents: if I wanted to learn to be proficient with say, BJJ, I'd rather train with someone who specializes in BJJ than someone who trained in it for two years, then began learning something else. The point, to my understanding, of being a mixed martial artist (as is the case with JKD at its core) is that you take what works best for you as an individual from different methods. If you learn from a place that teaches MMA as a style unto itself, you're learning the teacher's combination of what works best for him/her, which may or may not be the best combination for you.

• Lv 7

mma literally means "mixed martial arts", because that's what it is: people using various martial arts in a cage type match with few rules.

learning bjj doesn't make you an mma fighter. but does that really matter? mma is the type of fight arena. you can pretty much learn any fighting style, and use it in mma.

If you engage in a match and you use boxing and BJJ ground techniques, you are pretty much using MMA as Boxing does not have ground fighting.

However, you are missing kicks, elbow, and knees.

If you take MMA, you are going to learn Boxing (punching), Muay Thai (punching, kicking, elbows, and knees), and BJJ ground fighting.

• Mike

i recommend learning one discipline first and i would suggest BJJ.  it's hard enough to learn one discipline in the beginning. let alone all of them. although there are MMA gyms where you'll do a little bit of everything. but like Daniel Cormier has said. he'd rather be very good at one thing than mediocre at all of them. and to answer your question you can say you do MMA whenever you want. it's not really about the labels, it's about learning martial arts. i started taking BJJ before the lockdown and it's hard as hell but very fun and challenging. i can't wait for my school to open back up so i can get back into it. no better feeling than after a hard BJJ class. good luck in your martial arts journey.