Why are BLM and ALM against each other?

So one day I was asked if I thought black lives mattered, without giving a second thought I responded with “Yes of course all life matters”. The person got mad and said I was brushing over all of the bad things that have happened to African Americans by not specifically mentioning their race. Although I do not support some of the things certain members in the organization do, I do think black lives matter and support the cause. I also believe that discrimination exists against every race and should be abolished.

So why do people get so mad with the “All Lives Matter” movement. The way I see it is if black lives mattered then black discrimination would be stopped, which is good. If all lives matter than all discrimination would be stopped, which is better. Am I missing something? Why are the BLM and ALM movements against each other? I feel like they represent the same desire. I am not trying to disrespect anyone I’m seriously just curious.

Please excuse the typos.

the victims of yesterday are the tyrants of tomorrow .

ALL LIVES MATTER is a nonsense statement. It is basically like saying "Shut up, Whatever you think your *insert group* problems are, is insignificant"

It's like saying...if someone wants to raise awareness for Breast Cancer...and a counter protest is started with the slogan "ALL Diseases Matter"

"I also believe that discrimination exists against every race and should be abolished."

PLEASE tell us who discriminates against the white man cause we dying to know. 

Source(s): BLM

There are people who will say “all lives matter” to gaslight and try to invalidate what Black Lives Matter brings attention to. There are people who have taken the phrase “all lives matter” and appropriated it. That is all wrong. That being said, for some reason people think that in every single context, whoever is saying all lives matter must be using it to distract from the cause which is absolutely wrong and such a bad mindset. It can be used with a good context. For example, I talked to my little brother about racism and about the BLM protests. You know what he did? Immediately he got art supplies and made a poster that said “black lives matter” in huge writing and on the back, he wrote other smaller, sweet things such as something like “accept everyone.” In this context, he was including black lives because he realized that black lives have been excluded. Imagine having to tell a kid that he can’t say all lives matter JUST BC SOME PEOPLE USE IT IN A BAD CONTEXT. People need to learn not to essentialize things and think more deeply, things are more complicated and intricate than people want them to be...

Imagine children growing up in an environment where it’s never acceptable to say or hear all lives matter. They NEED to hear it in the right context. Again, for some reason, just because there are people who say it in a horrible context in order to distract and appropriate it, it doesn’t mean that it can’t be used for good—as it should be used while also bringing attention to and keeping the phrase black lives matter.

• Ian

Can't they just have the spotlight for a while? Do you not understand the CONTEXT of the statement Black Lives Matter? It is not ALL lives that are publicly executed, discriminated against, had ENTIRE systems created to keep them diminished. ALL lives EXCEPT black lives already mattered, they just want to matter as much as us. If you were in their shoes...really objectively looking at things in their shoes, at what point in YOUR history would you say enough is enough and REVOLT?