Right, so my idiot son bought a car without a title that is registered in Nevada (we live in California), is there anything we can do?

He bought it off craigslist off of some guy that said could help him get in registered, but it has been like 5 months now and nothing. Obviously the virus has played its part in that. I would like to get the ball rolling if I can. Anyone know of anything I can do?

We have bill of sale.

• Mr.357

Not sure about CA, but in some states, if the vehicle is over 35 years old a bill of sale is all you need.  If it is newer, you could wait until it is old enough.  One other option is to use it off road.  The only other option that I can think if is to take it apart and sell the parts.

• Phil M

Start by contacting your local DMV. They will have all the right answers.

• car253

You can get a "Defective Title Bond".   California DMV accepts that.   It is insurance that the car is yours.   It does not cost much.   Either ask your auto insurance agent if they sell them or call a "bonds" person.  https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/uploads/2020/03/reg5...

Call or visit your local BMV. For cars you buy out of state there is usually an inspection required, and they will have to research the registration in that state to make sure it's not stolen. Not knowing what your California procedures are, you'll have to find out from the BMV there. 

LIVING IN CALIFORNIA PROBABLY NOTHING.  BUT IF YOU WERE LIVING IN WYOMING, THEY WOULD COME UP WITH SOLUTION

I hope he's not driving it because he can't get insurance!

• May

Right, like a vehicle can NEVER be registered unless it has a valid title.  A bill of sale without a title is 100% worthless.  Right.

Right

I'd get DNA testing done to find out who the Father really is!

Park it on your front lawn and put plants in it.  That's it's only useful purpose.

Your son doesn't own the car.  The person whose name is on the title owns the car.

I'd find the person who raised this "idiot" and ask what went wrong.

You're correct:  he's an idiot.  Do you blame that on heredity or environment?