Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureCultures & GroupsSenior Citizens · 1 month ago

Senior citizens have any of you made masks out of T. shirts?  Did they turn out as you hoped and do you now use them?

• Kini

Masks should be fashioned a certain way to stop the flow of air from your nose and mouth. Those masks that look like kerchiefs are not the right ones. You can buy surgical ones cheap. Tee shirt material does not stop the flow of air because the material is porous and thin.

• Edna

A mask made out of a T-shirt is absolutely worthless at preventing the acquisition or spread of a contagious disease. 

• Judee

I've made 3 from T Shirts, they are triple thickness. A filter can be placed between the layers if desired.  It's best for the filter to be disposable.

No, I used my quilting 100% cotton .. double layer.  Knit fabrics are not as effective.

I made masks and gave them away, until I ran out of elastic.  Then I tried making masks with fabric ties but it took 2 hours to make a set of ties for one masks .. so I just stopped making masks.

Haven't yet, but are using others that were bought in stores.

• Dick

I LIKE my T-shirt mask. It's comfortable and it's over 60% efficient. It's comparable to almost any other mask, especially when the  high filtration masks leak around the edges.   Additionally, I can sterilize it easily. You can't do that with a filter-paper based mask, as any liquid degrades the filter media.

• Snid

We purchased some.  Last week i got a package of ten made by Hanes (the underwear people).  They are really soft and nice plus washable and dryable.  I used a bandana once because I forgot my mask and there was one in the car that my husband uses as a flag when he busy something that stick outs the back of the truck.

No, you're not supposed to make them out of T-shirt material, they have to be a bit ticker.

IF anyone need one they should contact their helath Insurance provider and tell them to mail ou out some and you will get them free.

• Murzy

I made on and bought much better ones.