Shaz asked in Education & ReferenceTeaching · 1 month ago

It it okay to take a summer off from working?

I just graduated high school and I've worked every summer since I was 14 and I worked during my senior year of high school. This summer I was motivated to teach myself new things and work but unfortunately I wasn't able to find a job this summer. I was able to find one but its 1 hour and a half away from my house and it's a horrible schedule so I don't know how I would balance that with teaching myself new things. So far everyday I spent many hours teaching myself how to code and reading many many books and I go running every single day. But there's a part of me that feels like a loser and I'm not doing anything productive because I don't have a job this summer. Is it okay to just take one summer off?

You do realize, don't you, that this summer is kind of unusual, what with things being shut down and all kinds of work situations changed because of COVID?

Whether it's okay to not work is up to you to decide, but right now there are more people than usual who cannot find work, and sometimes you just have to accept your circumstances even if they aren't okay. Just be glad you aren't someone who can't find work but still has a family to support.