2 different car title numbers?

Hi! So basically I am looking to buy this car. The guy sent me a picture of the title with the title number on it that shows no liens and is in the owners name. When I go on to Carfax, I match the title number up to the one he has, and that indeed was a title number, but it is showing that there is another title number after that, that has a lien or at least hasn’t been updated if it was payed off. I am just wondering is the one title void after a new one is issued? Also, how would the owner have obtained a title with no lien written on it initially when buying the vehicle, and then it go back (on the carfax it has 7 years to when it says it was bought-with the newest title number-to when it says a lien was reported) to saying there is a lien?

• Mr.357

Carfax is not worth the paper it is written on and sure not worth any monies paid to Carfax.  If it is a real title and the VIN matches the vehicle, you are good to go.

to me this sounds like a scam and i would walk away, the general rules is if something don't look or sound right then walk away no matter how much you want it.

• car253

SCAM !!  Walk away !

• May

Hi so basically, you are being basically scammed.  Basically, I would walk away from this "deal" ...... basically.

The "basically" generation.  :<(

That could mean that he sent you an old photograph.  This could be a scam in which the same car is sold to more than one person using the same title, but only one of them (and maybe no one) can actually have the car in the end.  Or it could be that he reported the title lost and got a replacement which he will be keeping, so it will look like you just found or stole the old one and very really bought anything.

But the most likely explanation seems to be that the latest title is correct, and there is a lien now.  I'm not sure how this happened.  Perhaps he paid off the car, sold the car, then bought the same car again, and hasn't paid it off from when he bought it the second time, but is showing you the title from the first time he owned it (before he sold it and bought it back).

when in doubt, contact the lien holder and inquire.  New people are always being hired so maybe somebody dropped the ball.(F up, whatever you call it). You want to know TODAY. They got computers, they can look it up.  CARFAX is not responsible for misrepresentation or lies by the seller. CarFax are not responsible for a lot of stuff. Be fully aware of that. You can't sue them.

• ron h

The newer title should be correct. Commonly, when someone pays off a lien, they turn in the lien title and get one that show no lien.   The oldest title should be void. Is the same name on both titles?  Try to get the lender info and call to be sure the lien is paid off.  If it doesn't feel right, don' buy it.  The registration SHOULD show the same name as the most recent title.

If the seller is not the owner listed on the title (it is against the law to flip titles unless you are a dealer and pay the tax), or a licensed dealer, walk away. If he can't provide a title with no lien, walk away.

That sounds fishy.....run away from that deal.

Unless he will go with you to the DMV, don't buy the car.