Anonymous

If your Chinese friend just told you that he broke up with his Taiwanese girlfriend after she chose to support India over China?

What should you do? This is about the recent controversial boundary dispute between China and India, it has VERY deeply divided Asians from all over the world into choosing sides...

And he claims that his girlfriend is essentially a race traitor who betrayed her ancestors or something...

Its democracy vs dictatorship

Well, for one, I think it goes to show you just how polarized our world has become when it comes to what each individual feels is most important. Even when it comes to romantic relationships, politics and social events have begun to shape how we relate to one another. In the case that you mention, the individual who is Chinese felt it necessary to breakup with his girlfriend who is Taiwanese. It represents a level of feeling offended, due to the other person taking a side that was diametrically opposed by the offended. 

However, this is what happens when tribalism occurs, and that is, you have persons who take ownership of a group or in this case a nation. This is not to say that one's feelings are irrelevant, but if one is so staunch in their devotion to their country, then it becomes easier to eliminate relationships or acquaintances just because of a disagreement. I don't know if breaking up over an international issue is legitimate. 

The reason is because, the priority of one's nation (also known as nationalism) takes precedence over the relationship. I believe that it is possible for two individuals to come to an agreement, despite disagreeing. However, if one is so pent up on their view, then it might be best to move on for the sake of peace. I just think it is a bit over the top to apply an international conflict to a relationship, but this falls in the category of a person's values. 

Most probably there's some misunderstanding behind the conversation that your friend couldn't agree with that's why break up.

That's such a bad temper. 

I guess they couldn't hold a good conversation in the first place. 

For me, I'll just carry on watch their drama. If the love is true, they will gradually overcome to marriage to life's journey. It's common to have miscommunication when there are already unhappiness. 

The solution is to overlook all these small matters, and look at the person whom you truly love. 

These are all small matters, miscommunication over anything doesn't hurt a relationship. It's the heart. If there is love, both will work it out. Because there is trust. People can have different stands, yet love each other. There is basically no good reason for a breakup, breakup is only for a breather. 

Just don't support either of the two nations. Don't talk about such things.

Breakup aside and scenario aside...from history it has been known that China has always been occupying illegal territory (Im sure you know of Tibet). Facts are that the indian army were not careful enough in this situation....so ended up having soldiers dead on their side. 

Besides....the Taiwanese have a unique identity and consider themselves different from China, and would not like to be part of them. They would resist every effort to be part of China as you know. So....the girlfriend would have  made a good decision, and to break up over such an issue would only seem childish and uninformed on the sides of the chinese boyfriend.

• Asep

I wouldn’t care

I would be very happy and have casual sex with both of them. Yes, I am bisexual.