Have you ever caught a flat tire on the way to work?

What happened?

With a car being disabled due to a flat, was your employer understandable or inconsiderate? Did they throw an attitude due to something out of your control?

well no the employer wasn't mad they knew it wasn't your fault and they were untestable  

Yes, literally 2 blocks from work.  I called triple A then called my boss and told them to look out the window,  the green car stuck at the curb was me.  I had the car taken to a repair garage and walked to work. 

• Erik

Not on the way to work, but I have had them while working (I deliver pizzas).  I just put the spare on and keep driving.  I've had to do it so often that I can change a tire in less than ten minutes.  Any kind of car problem, what can you do?  Just call them and tell them.

• Scott

Years ago I did. I changed the tire on the side of the road and went to work. Nobody cared that I was late because I was a salaried employee.

• n2mama

Not a flat, but I had a dead battery with no way to jump it. I also have had the situation where the train I was on was significantly delayed because the train in front hit a pedestrian. My employers understood, but I am not someone to make excuses or try to game the system. If you are someone with chronic attendance issues and are looking for an excuse to avoid disciplinary action, you could be asked for proof of the issue (receipt for the tow or repair or new tire) if your employer doesn’t believe you. You don’t have to provide it, but if you don’t, you could find yourself in trouble.

• Maxi

Yes.......... my employer was fine about it, told me not to worry, see me when I got in and to phone again if I needed help etc....however I am ALWAYS early into work, will pull in any additional task needed and help /support colleagues when/if needed...I was more concerned about being late than they were

• Alex

This is a prime example of why it's always important to maintain a good reputation with your employer.  Those with a reputation of being reliable and on time will get more understanding than those who are always late and full of excuses.

If you are a respectful hard worker who does not bullshit, they will understand perfectly. If you are the opposite, then you deserve to be hit with attitude.

• They were understanding, I've had a flat tire and a dead battery in the same year. I still managed to get to work. These things happen, just try not to let it happen too often, or use it as an excuse to get out of going to work. They shouldn't be like that over things you can't control. If they're often like that then maybe it's time to find another job with better managers / bosses. 

Depends on if you are punctual the rest of the time.