Doorpath asked in SportsCycling · 1 month ago

does the rear light on a bicycle need to be red?

I lost my red rear light.  I have an extra white front light that I can place on the rear of my bike.  If I do this and ride at night, can I get stopped and ticketed?  Or does it not matter what color the light is?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

Front = white (red isn't bad, though unusual) 

Rear = red (NEVER white, especially if high powered LED)

Sides = yellow 

Yellow = ideally SIDE use only but, 360 all around is acceptable

• D50
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

I'm sure that anywhere in the English-speaking world, the rear light is required to be red by law. That said, no American cop will care unless he wants to hassle you for some other reason.

• 1 month ago

I do use red light and make sure it flashes so vehicles can see me assuming I'm not going normal speed.

• pmt853
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

In the UK the rear light should always be red, that way other road users know it's the back of your bike not the front!

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

Common sense should tell you the lights must be red.  White lights would blind a vehicle operator who's directly behind you.  On a motor vehicle the only rear white lights that can be on it are back up lights when going in reverse. 

Source(s): Motorized Bicycle Owner and Builder.
  • 1 month ago

Rear facing lights must be RED.  Bicycles are legally defined vehicles.  Therefore, the same rules apply to bicycles as it would a motorized vehicle.  

Attachment image
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

IF so, that would be a local law ............................................

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.