Doorpath asked in SportsCycling · 1 month ago

does the rear light on a bicycle need to be red?

I lost my red rear light.  I have an extra white front light that I can place on the rear of my bike.  If I do this and ride at night, can I get stopped and ticketed?  Or does it not matter what color the light is?

Front = white (red isn't bad, though unusual) 

Rear = red (NEVER white, especially if high powered LED)

Sides = yellow 

Yellow = ideally SIDE use only but, 360 all around is acceptable

• D50

I'm sure that anywhere in the English-speaking world, the rear light is required to be red by law. That said, no American cop will care unless he wants to hassle you for some other reason.

I do use red light and make sure it flashes so vehicles can see me assuming I'm not going normal speed.

• pmt853

In the UK the rear light should always be red, that way other road users know it's the back of your bike not the front!

Common sense should tell you the lights must be red.  White lights would blind a vehicle operator who's directly behind you.  On a motor vehicle the only rear white lights that can be on it are back up lights when going in reverse. 

Source(s): Motorized Bicycle Owner and Builder.

Rear facing lights must be RED.  Bicycles are legally defined vehicles.  Therefore, the same rules apply to bicycles as it would a motorized vehicle.  

IF so, that would be a local law ............................................