Blue asked in HealthOther - Health · 2 months ago

Is covid airborne ?

I heard covid 19 was airborne  how true?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

u get via touch..................

• 1 month ago

You heard wrong. Covid 19 is not airborne.

• 2 months ago

No, it is not airborne, luckily, but many people don't understand what not airborne means. They think they're safe unless someone coughs, sneezes or spits in their face, but virus particles are so tiny they can travel on the exhalation humidity of someone's breath alone. So for people speaking normally to each other that's around 3-4 feet, for people singing, shouting, or doing exercise, that's around 6-7 feet. A sneeze, by the way, can result in droplets spreading as far as 27 feet away, this is where masks worn by infected people really come into play.

Basically not airborne means that the virus will have to "catch a ride" to spread in the air, so the virus will circulate in the air only as long as the ride circulates in the air.

Another thing many overlook is that the virus can spread through surfaces and can live as long as three days on certain surfaces, so if an infected person has virus on his hands and touches, say, a door knob, then an uninfected person can get the virus by touching the doorknob and touching his face afterwards. They determined that one of the early infection chains in Germany started by someone passing the salt. And there's the recent case in Australia where it looks like sharing a lighter has caused an outbreak in Melbourne.

In theory with a non-airborne virus, if you live somewhere where social distancing and strict hygiene is possible, then you should be able to contain and possibly eradicate the virus completely, but the problem is of course that not everyone is careful and it takes just a few to ruin it for everyone else.

• Edna
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

You heard wrong.  COVID-19 is NOT an airborne illness (meaning it's not blowing around "in the air"). It becomes  "airborne" only if an infected person coughs directly into your face and spews infected droplets into your mouth and nose.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

i've read the virus will remain floating in the air for hours after someone coughs or sneezes. you will inhale millions of infectious viruses if you walk through that area regardless of whether you wear a mask or not. wearing a cloth mask provides you no protection at all.

• 2 months ago

Of course, it is airborne. It CAN be spread by fomites but that is rare, unlike the coronaviruses for the common cold. I may have to suffer through stupid pontifications by an egomaniac president who has never taken a real science course, let alone one in medicine, but I am lucky enough to live in a state with an MD as governor. Masks are mandated when you are indoors with people other than the ones you live with.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

"Based on the available evidence, the COVID-19 virus is transmitted between people through close contact and droplets, not by airborne transmission. The people most at risk of infection are those who are in close contact with a COVID-19 patient or who care for COVID-19 patients."

Wearing Masks AND maintaining social distance are "Feel Good" non effective actions.

• 2 months ago

Well..considering people r wearing surgical masks..I'd assume its quite airborne 

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

COVID is airborne. It can linger in the air for up to three hours. 

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.